Wealth does not indicate happiness

When we talk about money, one thing comes to mind: power. Money is power. That is how the world works. I went to see the new movie starring Denzel Washington, “John Q.” The movie, about a poor father whose son needs a heart transplant, really made me think. Putting the boy’s name on a waiting list required $75,000. The father sold everything he had because his insurance would only give him $20,000; he raised much of the money himself, but it was not enough. The doctors basically told him that he would have to watch his son die. The father held the hospital hostage until someone did something for his son. Life has come to a point where it revolves around nothing but money. I am not saying that everything should be free because our economy would not survive in that case, but how can someone say that they cannot help you because you don’t have enough money? What’s the use in paying insurance when, in the long run, it isn’t enough? I’d almost bet that when people walk into hospitals and do not have an insurance card, they might just sit there and die. Why? Because the hospital doesn’t know who is going to pay for treatment; however, this is not the fault of the hospital, but the hospital system.
    From another point of view, how many rich people are in prison? Not many! Why? Money is power. Criminals are free because they can afford to pay Johnny Cochran to get them out. I am not one to say whether O.J. Simpson was guilty or not, but no matter the circumstances, I know he could get out of trouble because of his money.
    Money has come a long way. People did not always care so much about money, but in today’s time, that’s all we care about. My point is that when we leave this world, nothing comes with us-not that fancy car, those nice clothes or that big house. We should strive to be successful in life, but money is not what makes a person successful-being happy with one’s life does.
    If we pay close attention to news statistics, upper class citizens have more mental problems and go through more depression throughout their lives. Half of the people we call stars and look up to have had nervous breakdowns because they thought their money could buy happiness. Money will not buy happiness. It will not hold a marriage together or get you into heaven. To many people, money is life and death, and that is a shame.
    I’m not saying that poor people should stay poor or never try to reach their goals. Do not misinterpret what I’m saying. We should not let money get the best of us. There is more to life than money. Some people miss out on real blessings trying to count and save pennies.
    Yes, it is OK to be wealthy, but it is not OK to put everything into that wealth. “John Q” is one of the most powerful movies I have seen, and it is a shame for our country to let humans die because of money situations.
    I love money; I know I do. I like to shop and eat out. Who doesn’t? But we should not miss out on living by letting money control our lives. It is true that some people are barely making ends meet, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t happy. Wealthy people are not necessarily unhappy, but if you ask them what makes them happy, they will not answer “money.”
    I want to become a teacher, and everyone knows that no one becomes a teacher for the money, but I know that teaching will make me happy, and I will be successful because I’ll be doing what I want to do. Being rich and famous is great, but if you lose yourself becoming rich and famous, then it was never worth it.