Matthew’s Reviews – Default-The Fallout

3 1/2 stars out of 5Can’t get enough of Staind, Incubus and Hoobastank? Well, here comes another batch of that delicious audio cookie dough, courtesy of Default, the hot new Canadian export. Just two years after forming in Vancouver, British Columbia Default released their debut album, The Fallout.
    The Fallout contains 11 tracks written by the band with a little help from Nickelback lead singer Chad Kroeger, who also helped produce the album.
    Rock music may have changed since the days of The Doors and Pink Floyd, but one cardinal rule of the genre remains intact and rarely gets broken: a good rock album always starts with a rocker.
    In the tradition of Led Zeppelin 4 and Def Leppard’s Pyromania, The Fallout kicks off with “Sick And Tired.” The tune comes alive as Dallas Smith’s raw vocals surge on pulse generated by Dave Benedict’s throbbing bass collaboration with drummer Danny Craig.
    The band gets even more raucous on the next track “Deny,” the album’s latest single. Jeremy Hora’s razor-sharp guitar hooks intertwine with Smith’s forceful vocals creating an aggressive, hard-hitting collaboration reminiscent of Pearl Jam’s “Animal.”
    Throughout the album, Hora’s guitar hooks serve as the perfect compliment to Smith’s seductively volatile baritone vocals. Even on ballads like “Wasting My Time,” “One Late Night” and “Live A Lie,” Hora finds a way to harmonize his scorching licks.
    Early in the CD is “Slow Me Down,” an upbeat track characterized by Craig’s cruise control drumming similar to that of the Goo Goo Dolls’ “Long Way Down.”
    The album takes an ethereal turn with “Somewhere.” Smith’s vocals become mournful yet hopeful as he sings a spiritual lament of a lost loved one.
    The most prominent track on the album is “Live A Lie.” A lushly harmonious guitar and piano scheme set the stage for somber lyrics, and Hora’s throwback guitar solo that soars in the style of Aerosmith’s Joe Perry.
    The album ends with “Let You Down.” With affectionate lyrics and a steady beat, it is a strong closer that rocks, yet reassures much like Creed’s “My Sacrifice.”
    The Fallout is a balanced collaboration of infectious bass grooves, aggressive guitar riffs, insightful lyrics, in-your-face head bangers and mellifluous ballads. Albums that come out this quickly usually come with evidence of cut corners and mildly sweet, quick-buck ear candy, but not this one.
    Default may follow the rules of rock, but they realize that in order to be truly original, they must excel beyond the way they were taught. The Fallout shows clear signs of influence from the likes of Nirvana, Soundgarden and even Twisted Sister, but in the end, the album clearly wins by Default. This band is on the fast track and though the brightest flame may burn quickest, these Canadians don’t seem destined for a Fallout just yet.