‘Dawgs overcome early deficit vs. Samford

Pitcher Jacob Blakeney survived a first inning scare and went on to record his first career win Tuesday night as Mississippi State (18-11-1) posted a 7-2 win over Samford (19-15) at Dudy Noble Field. Blakeney gave up three of his five hits in the first inning, including a two-run home run to the second batter he faced in the game, right fielder Robert Evans. But after the first inning Blakeney allowed just two base runners and finished his career-longest seven-inning mound stint with six strikeouts, also a career-high. Jonathan Papelbon followed Blakeney on the mound in the eighth and retired the six batters he faced to register his fourth save.
    Mississippi State backed Blakeney with ample run support. Matthew Maniscalco walked to open the MSU first and scored on a Matthew Brinson double down the right-field line. State used four walks to tie the score in the second and took the lead with three runs in the third. Michael Brown’s bases-loaded single to left score a pair of runs and Casey Long’s infield groundout drove in another.
    State plated two more runs in the eighth to close out the scoring. Chad Henry drove in his second run of the game with a sacrifice fly to right and Brinson followed with his second run-scoring hit, a single that scored Maniscalco.
    Scott Fowler (2-2), the second of six pitchers used by Samford in the game, took the loss. He walked four and allowed three runs on one hit in 2/3 of an inning.
    The top four hitters in the Samford batting order combined for all six SU hits, including two by designated hitter Major Allred.
    The Bulldogs continue their eight-game home stand Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. playing host to Mississippi Valley State.
    MSU 7, Samford 2
    SU 200 000 000–2-5-2
    MSU 113 000 02x–7-7-0
    WP–Jacob Blakeney (1-2). LP– Alan Bryan (2-5). HR– Robert Evans (4). T–2:08.