Looking back

Students gather for a September 11th prayer vigil.

History teachers, in an attempt to establish the importance of learning about the history of French military disasters or the Industrial Revolution, often quote George Santayana, who said, “Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.” In keeping with this conviction, The Reflector takes a look back on the 2001-02 school year.
    The year started out on a positive note for Mississippi State University. In August of 2001, students were getting re-acclimated to college life. There were a few changes taking place; e-mail became the official means of campus communication, and TaTonka Gold was dubbed Bully XIX.
    Alderman Lee Beck made headlines with changes he proposed for the Starkville beer ordinance, which would have allowed restaurants to serve alcoholic beverages until 2 a.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. On Sept. 4, the Starkville Board of Aldermen voted 5-2 in favor of the resolution, which Mayor Mack Rutledge later vetoed.
    Students enjoyed a pleasant surprise in early September when Ruby Tuesday opened in Starkville, providing another dining option for students, and there was cheerful talk that the fountain would soon serve Starkbuck’s coffee. All in all, the year was going pretty much like any other.
    But the tragic events of Sept. 11 cast a shadow over all the simple frivolities of campus life. Beginning at 8:45 a.m. EST, a series of four terrorist-hijacked planes crashed. Two of them were used to hit and destroy the World Trade Center, and one hit and severely damaged the Pentagon. The fourth, thanks to the selfless heroism of several passengers aboard, crashed in a field southeast of Pittsburgh, Pa. before it reached its destination, which was presumably Camp David or another building in Washington, D.C. The four crashes combined resulted in the loss of 3,000 lives.
    In the following days at MSU, there were candlelight vigils, prayer services and many other demonstrations of mourning for those who lost their lives and loved ones. The following Friday, Sept. 14, President Bush called for a day of prayer and remembrance.
    The flag on the Drill Field flew at half-staff until Sept. 23, when President Bush symbolically ended the national period of mourning by ordering all flags raised. The university, along with the nation and the world, was forever changed by the events of Sept. 11. It is a day that will never be forgotten.
    In October, a tornado warning caused fans to leave the football stadium to take shelter during the MSU homecoming game with Troy State University. MSU lost the game, and despite expectations of a terrific season, the Bulldogs’ final record was 3 and 8.
    MSU made the national spotlight on Sept. 21, when it hosted the University of South Carolina at Scott Field. The game was the first nationally televised football game since the Sept. 11 tragedy. At the beginning of the game, a large American flag was stretched across the football field being accompanied by both the MSU and USC football players.
    The season was saved by an Egg Bowl victory over Mississippi, 36-28. Many MSU fans were left asking, ‘Eli who?’
    Later in October, talk arose of MSU President Malcolm Portera leaving the university to take over the chancellorship of the University of Alabama system. In early December, those rumors became reality as MSU said goodbye to Portera and welcomed Charles Lee as the interim president of MSU.
    Several Greek organizations on campus had difficulties this year, ranging from severe sanctions to closures.
    In November, the Phi Delta Theta fraternity was suspended for violating MSU alcohol policy during an unofficial party at the fraternity’s house.
    In January, the Mississippi Theta chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon was sentenced to two years of social probation by an Interfraternity Council judicial board in relation to an incident involving alcohol and underage drinking in December.
    In February, the Alpha Gamma Delta Sorority received news from its national officers that the MSU Theta Theta chapter of the sorority would be closed due to low membership.
    MSU gained national and negative press this year when a cheating scandal hit the math department in December. A copy of a college algebra test was stolen and circulated prior to the test on Dec. 7. Officials estimate as many as 200 out of the 800 students taking the test may have had access to the test. Three students faced university discipline for the incident. They were suspended and received failing grade in the course.
    On a more positive note, the MSU women’s soccer team won the SEC West.
    The MSU men’s basketball team,SEC Tournament Champions, completed the season with a remarkable record of 27-8 and victories over Ole Miss, the University of Kentucky, and the University of Alabama to name only a few. The basketball team also made it to the NCAA tournament as a school best, No. 3 seed. The MSU women’s basketball team also made it to the NCAA Tournament.
    The MSU cheerleading squad won ninth in the national championship. Bully, the mascot, won first place in the NCAA championship sponsored by the National Cheerleading Association.
    Also important to MSU this year were the many construction and repair projects which have been completed. Early in 2002, the bells of the Chapel of Memories rang for the first time in years. Residence Halls are being repaired and renovated.
    And finally, MSU students were fortunate to see this school year bring one of the most acclaimed concerts in years to the Humphrey Coliseum. MTV’s Campus Invasion Tour brought Nickelback and several other bands to campus for what will doubtless be remembered as one the best Super Bulldog Weekends ever … until next year’s.