Computer classes examined

Mississippi State University, like other universities, requires a basic computer concepts course, but the university has re-examined computer classes to make the course applicable to each major. Why the change? Most students in college have taken a computer applications course in high school, and MSU requires one before entrance to the university.
    Undergraduate coordinator in computer science Donna Reese said, “Rather than having a computer literacy course that students take, the requirement is really aimed at helping students to learn to use computers in their major, so each major is having to identify how it is that their students are essentially computer literate within their major.”
    Reese is familiar with the business and education modifications of the computer course.
    “For example, in the business school, they have a course that’s a computer literacy course aimed at business applications of computers,” Reese said. “Education has one that’s aimed at educational aspects using computers.”
    Once a member of on the university’s Courses and Curriculum Committee, Reese knows that each major varies in the choice of the computer courses applicable.
    “All majors are required to demonstrate that their graduates are literate with the use of computers as appropriate to their major,” Reese said. “The university still does have a computer literacy course, but they do different things in different courses.”
    Students who pass a computer-based test from the College Level Examination Program earn credit for the class without having to take the class.
    “If their particular majors still allow that one computer concepts class to satisfy the computer literacy requirements, then they can take the CLEP test to satisfy that requirement,” Reese said.
    This change will benefit students who are already familiar with the basic functions of the computer.
    “What we need to do at a university level is teach students to use those tools as appropriate in whatever major they’re going into,” Reese said.
    By focusing the computer requirement on the material of each major, the students will have a better edge in their future careers with their deeper knowledge of computers.
    “Rather than just teaching them basic computer concepts, now they are exposed to how computers are being used in the field they’re going into.” Reese said. “It gives them a skill that employers are looking for and is necessary to be successful in that particular area.”
    The professors also agree that the change is beneficial because it will save time and resources. Reese gives an example from her computer science department.
    “In the computer science department, we were teaching approximately three to 400 students per semester in the basic concepts course, and they really didn’t need that course,” Reese said. “It will allow us to use those resources for other things that the students really do need to learn.”
    Reese emphasized the importance of the knowledge of computer technology for any career.
    “Computers are a part of all professions these days,” Reese said. “I think it’s a very necessary thing that students learn how to apply the technology appropriate to whatever they’re getting their degree in.”
    MSU students tend to agree with this course modification.
    “I think it’s a wonderful idea, because the computer classes they have now are a complete joke,” MSU junior chemical engineering student Erica Huntley said. “Because everything is going to computers these days, you need to be more exposed to more programs that will benefit your career.”
    Graduate student of exercise science Matthew McRae said, “I believe that it is good that a computer class is offered in accordance with your major. It is more practical, and we can actually use these skills for something useful in our course of study.”
    “I think the computer requirement is a good idea in theory, but the class is seen as a joke and a waste of time. The change will allow you to take the skills you learn and actually use them,” MSU junior business studen, Bonnie Smith said.