Sixty-two years of madness: Men’s top five

Maybe I’m jumping the gun, but I figured it was time to start talking about a little thing in the sports world known as March Madness. This week I am going to give my top five men’s tournament moments of all time. I vividly remember watching the NCAA tournament on television over the years, I have also been lucky enough to experience it in person. And I have witnessed some pretty amazing moments.
    No. 5–The 1998 South Regional Final, Duke vs. Kentucky–In a rematch of their epic overtime battle in 1992, the Kentucky Wildcats and the Duke Blue Devils met in the South Regional Final in Tampa, Fla. Leading by as much as 18 points in the second half, the OCats put on a furious second-half run that saw them beat Elton Brand and Duke in the final moments by a score of 86-84. The Wildcats would eventually win their second national title in three years with an overtime victory over Utah in San Antonio.
    No. 4–The 1996 Southeast Regional, Mississippi State vs. Connecticut and Cincinnati–The last team anyone expected to win the Southeast Regional in 1996 was MSU. After squeaking by Virginia Commonwealth 58-51 in the first round, the Bulldogs were scheduled to match up with defending national champion, UCLA, in the second round, right? Wrong. UCLA was upset in the first round by upstart Princeton, so the Bulldogs caught a bit of a break in the second round. And quickly disposed of the Tigers 63-41 to advance to their second consecutive Sweet Sixteen. The Regional Semifinals produced a new challenge with Connecticut, but the ODawgs had no trouble with the Huskies, winning 60-55. Only Cincinnati stood in the way of the Bulldogs for the Final Four, and MSU was up to the challenge, upsetting UC 73-63 to advance to the 1996 Final Four in New Jersey. State’s run ended in the national semifinals with a 8-point setback to national runner-up Syracuse.
    No. 3–The 1982 National Championship, North Carolina vs. Georgetown–An almost unknown freshman by the name of Michael Jordan made one of the most famous plays in North Carolina basketball history, sinking a baseline jumper with time running down that eventually gave the Tar Heels the national championship. After Jordan’s shot the Hoyas had a chance to take the lead, but Sleepy Floyd threw the ball away to North Carolina’s James Worthy with only seconds remaining.
    No. 2–The 1998 Midwest Regional First Round, Mississippi vs. Valparaiso–Coming in as the 13th seed in the midwest region, the Valparaiso Crusaders were not expected to give much of a contest to Ansu Sesay and the Ole Miss Rebels. But Valpo passed their NCAA tournament test with flying colors producing one of the most memorable finishes in NCAA tournament history. With only two seconds remaining on the clock, and Ole Miss leading 69-67, the Crusaders could only hope for a miracle. Jamie Sykes heaved the ball to the other end of the floor, finding forward Bill Jenkins just outside the three-point line. In mid-air, Jenkins dropped the ball off to a cutting Bryce Drew who put a three-point dagger in the hearts of the Rebels at the buzzer. Valpo eventually upset Florida State before losing to Rhode Island in the Regional Semifinals. Oddly enough, the play Valparaiso ran to win the game, named “Pacer,” was a play that coach Homer Drew ran in practice in the days leading up to the tournament.
    No. 1–The 1992 East Regional Final, Duke vs. Kentucky–A game that is highly considered as the greatest college basketball game ever played, tops my list of memorable men’s NCAA tournament moments. The Devils and OCats met in Philadelphia to decide the final spot in the 1992 Final Four. The game didn’t disappoint, as both teams fought for, gained and lost leads during the course of the game. The only low point of the game came when Duke forward Christian Laettner intentionally kicked a Kentucky player while he was laying on the floor. Laettner got a whistle for a technical foul. Forty minutes was not enough to decide a winner, so the two powerhouses went into overtime. With Duke leading 102-101, Kentucky was able to get a late basket with only 2.1 seconds remaining on the clock to take a 103-102 lead. Duke needed a miracle. All-American Grant Hill had to throw the ball the length of the floor and hope that a Duke player would come up with it and make a last second shot. That player was Christian Laettner. Hill let the ball go and found Laettner at the free throw line where he faked, turned and fired as the clock expired. Nothing but net. Game over–Duke wins 104-103.