Safe Spring Break Week to offer car care, survival kits

With Spring Break swiftly approaching, several health-related organizations at Mississippi State University are teaming up to ensure that students will be able to boast a safe and enjoyable experience while on break. Heading up Safe Spring Break Week 2002 is the Longest Student Health Center under the direction of health educator Jennifer Fuller. Also joining the Health Center staff in its efforts are Recreational Sports and the Center for Alcohol and Drug Education.
    “The purpose of Safe Spring Break Week is to make students aware of some of the normal occurrences of Spring Break, particularly things like alcohol poisoning and severe sunburn,” Amy Wooten, CADE project coordinator, said.
    Safe Spring Break Week 2002 will take place today and Wednesday on the Drill Field and in the Sanderson Center parking lot.
    The event will be on the Drill Field both days, beginning at 10 a.m. and ending around 2 p.m., before moving over to the Sanderson Center parking lot.
    Visitors of the event will be able to participate in the popular “Beer Goggle Obstacle Course,” as well as receive free Spring Break survival packets.
    The packets will contain sunscreen, Tylenol, flying discs, candy and brochures that highlight alcohol poisoning, STDs and sunburns.
    “The survival packets are free to students, and they contain some basic items for a safe and responsible Spring Break,” Wooten said. “The Beer Goggle Obstacle Course offers students a fun, yet educational way to learn about alcohol and some negative consequences associated with high risk drinking behaviors.”
    Students will also be able to benefit from local mechanics providing free pre-Spring Break checkups in the Sanderson Center parking lot from 2-4 p.m.
    The Car Care concept was invented and introduced by Kami White, marketing director of Sanderson Center, to ensure travel safety for those students embarking on long trips over the break.
    “Car Care affords students an opportunity for local mechanics to give a quick check on the student’s vehicle and offer some advice on things that might need looking at before they head home for the holiday,” White said.
    Safe Spring Break Week 2002 is a comprehensive effort to decrease the negative risks associated with Spring Break.
    For more information on Safe Spring Break Week 2002, contact Fuller at 325-7545 or Wooten at 325-2141.