SA addresses yearly accomplishments

The Mississippi State University Student Association held a state of the Student Association address Tuesday to help make students and community more aware of the SA’s accomplishments and attempts to improve student life. Student Association Vice President Parker Wiseman opened the meeting, saying, “If there’s one clear purpose for the evening tonight, it is to answer a question that, as elected officers of the student body, we get asked just about every day. And that is, ‘What are we doing to move forward?'”
    The meeting featured several guest speakers, including Bryce Griffis, vice president of the board of trustees of the Institutions of Higher Learning. Griffis spoke concerning the importance of the settlement in the Ayer’s case, budget concerns and the board’s search for presidents for Mississippi University for Women, the University of Southern Mississippi and MSU. Griffis said the board is in the final stages of the selection process for both MUW and USM and hopes to be free to focus is attention on finding a new MSU president soon.
    “Last week, we named the advisory committee for the Mississippi State search, and we hope to start on that in late May or the first of June,” Griffis said.
    Dr. Melvin Ray, special assistant to MSU Interim President Charles Lee spoke on behalf of Lee, who had a previous engagement. Ray outlined MSU’s progress in the three areas featured on MSU’s seal: learning, research and service.
    Ray praised the quality and diversity of MSU students, the university’s high national ranking in research and the value of the university to the surrounding community and the entire state.
    “This university makes a significant contribution to the lives of every Mississippian,” Ray said.
    The final speaker of the evening was Sebron Harrison, SA president who began by reading the constitution of the Student Association, outlining the goals of the SA to “promote student welfare in an academic atmosphere, to further the activities of student life, to encourage a clear and continuous exchange of ideas between students, faculty and the university administration and to instill and promote a greater spirit and progress for our alma mater.”
    Harrison went on to outline various projects of the SA during the last year such as working to provide more entertainment opportunities for students and increased attempts to include every student, especially those in minority groups such as disabled and international students, in the student government process. He also praised various undertakings of the Campus Activities Board and attempts by the Community Relations Department to help bring together the students and the surrounding community.
    Harrison said the SA works hard to improve the quality of students’ experiences at MSU, and encouraged students to take a more active part in it by voting or running for election.
    Harrison said he knew some perhaps felt that the SA does not do enough for the students. To this allegation, he had this to say:
    “I sincerely apologize for all of the things you wanted to see done that were not accomplished this year by your Student Association; I sincerely apologize for the things that were attempted that were not accomplished to the degree that you would have them accomplished. However, I do not, nor will I ever apologize for the amount of hard work that has been put in.”
    After the speakers, the SA held a public SA Senate meeting to help show students the decision making process.
    Patti Reiss, director of public relations for the Student Association, said the address was an excellent opportunity to educate people as to how much the SA is really involved in.
    “I think it gave the Student Association a chance to really show the students all that has been completed this year. The Student Association works 365 days a year on campus, and not many people realize that. I think the meeting gave people a chance to see what the SA is capable of and how it will be beneficial for the future.