Senate wants longer hours

Recently the Mississippi State University Student Association Senate voted 34-0 in favor extending hours of many MSU facilities, including the library, as well as placing new signs on campus to encourage student participation in SA and athletic events. The Senate passed resolutions to extend operational hours of the Bulldog Express and to keep the Mitchell Memorial Library open at all hours during the spring and fall exam periods. In addition, the SA continues to pursue the resolutions concerning a fall break and an added Reading Day.
    “I spoke with Dr. George Verrall for a while about the break and he indicated some interest,” SA Vice President Parker Wiseman said. “I will bring it before the academic dean’s council for support but ultimately the Institutions of Higher Learning will have to approve it.”
    Wiseman says the SA is taking these issues through all of the proper channels in the university. He is hoping that it may increase MSU’s chance of having a break since Ole Miss changed its break this year, giving them a shorter Christmas break but a week-long Thanksgiving break.
    “I think it may happen down the road although it could happen sooner. It’s hard to tell since going through the university is often a lengthy process,” Wiseman said.
    The Reading Day topic, Thanksgiving break and library extended hours have all been passed, voted and signed but will more than likely be brought up in future meetings, Wiseman said.
    “There’s no time limit and no vote to put it all into effect. Our job is to keep pushing it and with some student interest some result will come of it (these resolutions),” Wiseman said.
    Along with pushing these resolutions, day student senator Jason McNeel brought about Resolution No. 19 that says by placing a sign on campus with information about both upcoming SA and athletic events, more students would participate.
    The resolution states that an increase in attendance to such events would be a direct result of sign on campus. The resolution requests the SA Public Relations, Student Affairs and the Athletic Support committees to explore the possibilities of getting a sign to serve these functions.
    Another request was brought before the senate by day student senator Wes Dillon to extend the Bulldog Express operation hours until 6:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday from Nov. 1 until April 1.
    “A few people mentioned to me, mostly females, about how they had to walk back to their rooms on campus in the dark after labs ended,” Dillon said. “It seems like a reasonable request for safety purposes.”
    Dillon says he just sees it necessary to extend hours while it’s dark after 5 p.m. instead of the whole school year. He also says all students could benefit from the later hours since many students walk to the cafeteria or to the library after dark. The resolution will go before the faculty senate for a decision.
    A third resolution that students see as critical is an extension of library hours during exams. The library is currently scheduled to be open for a period of only ten hours on May 4, 2002, and eleven hours on May 5, 2002.
    “Having the Library open longer would just give all students a chance to study since we can’t always get it done anywhere else,” Laura Leigh Smith, College of Education senator, said.
    This issue has been brought up before a long time ago but several people have mentioned it to her recently, Smith said.
    The only two “dead days” scheduled for this Spring’s Final Exam period are on May 4 and 5. The resolution says that “dead days” are the busiest times of the year for the library. The resolution requests that the library be open all hours during the “dead days” and exam period.
    Most likely Dean Frances Coleman of the Library will make a decision as to whether or not the hours will change. There is no set time as to when those decisions will be made.
    “The Library seems very willing to work with students and that’s a big plus for us,” Harrison says.
    The next SA meeting will be tonight at 7:15. The money will be appropriated for group organizations for the spring semester during tonight’s meeting.
    Additional upcoming SA functions include a community forum Wednesday night at Simerall Auditorium at 6 p.m.
    “I really want to encourage all students to come and ask questions,” Harrison said. “This is your opportunity; A representative from the Board of Alderman, the Chamber of Commerce, Mayor Rutledge and other city officials will be attending the forum.”
    Students will also have a chance to ask questions concerning the Student Association at the State of the Student Association on March 19 at the Wiseman Center.
    “The president has a state of the union address every year and we have the State of the SA for similar purposes, to let the students, faculty and community know what the SA has done this year,” Harrison says. “I will be speaking, and students will have an opportunity to learn more about where the SA stands right now as well as ask any questions they have about the SA.”
    Harrison also reminds students that elections are coming up and will be right after students return from Spring Break. The elections are March 26 and the run-off date is set for April 2.