Editors Picks: The Best Films of 2005

Sin City
    Throughout its entire running length, “Sin City” relentlessly proves that it’s the only movie worthy of the Best Picture award. The slick and smoky look of this comic-to-film adaptation would have been enough to keep you twitching in ecstasy, yet “Sin City” throws in dismemberment, torture, depraved characters, memorable dialogue and an unconventional timeline for more satisfactory bullets in your brain. And although most of the cast is brutally appropriate, Mickey Rourke rules the screen as the down and dirty Marv. “Sin City” is original enough for movie-goers and accurate enough to the comic for hardcore fans.
    -Jed Pressgrove, Opinion Editor
    Good Night, and Good Luck
    George Clooney’s directorial debut highlights Edward R. Murrow (David Strathairn), the CBS broadcast journalist that dealt the final blow to the fingerpointing trials of Sen. Joseph McCarthy and the House Un-American Activities Commitee. Not only did Clooney direct, he co-scripted the historical piece. He did both immaculately, and the historical accuracy and brilliant acting helped polish the film into perfection. Hailed as one of the best-reviewed films of the year, “Good Night, and Good Luck” is one of the must-see titles of 2005.
    -Tyler Stewart, Entertainment Editor
    Cinderella Man
    “Cinderella Man” displays one man’s struggle in one of the darkest times of American history and also how he overcomes adversity. The plot may not have been the most original, but the way director Ron Howard shot the movie draws the audience into Jim Braddock’s struggle as if it were their own. Many movies fall short of this, but for succeeding in this area, “Cinderella Man” is one of the best movies of the year.
    -Wade Patterson, Asst. News Editor
    Walk the Line
    Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon exceptionally portray the on-going love saga of Johnny Cash and June Carter in “Walk the Line,” a truly remarkable film about the life of Cash. The audience is taken on a rollercoaster ride as the film flips through the troubled life of the country singer. From his sad childhood to his quarrels with drugs, Phoenix perfectly depicts every chapter of Cash’s life.
    Witherspoon’s performance as Carter is just as amazing if not better than that of Phoenix. Her clear, country tune flows from the screen, capturing the audience. And her striking beauty overwhelms on-lookers. “Walking the Line” is no doubt one of the best movies of the year, as an intriguing story is compounded with brilliant acting.
    -Ross Dellenger, Sports Editor
    Crash
    The aptly named “Crash” slammed into the box office earlier this year, opening up one of America’s oldest wounds-racism. This superb film features a stellar cast, including an amazing tour de force by Matt Dillon and a surprising, honestly-played role by Ludacris. Audiences watch the wreckage and salvation of different characters as they deal with the harsh effects of a society plagued with blatant and subliminal racist thoughts.
    “Crash” offers an honest look at a topic many Americans have tried to suppress. Faced with cultural stereotypes and their fallacies, the characters are forced to confront their prejudices. Some emerge from their crash with reality, bruised but filled with a new appreciation of life. Others suffer more at the hands of their own hates. “Crash” gives hope of redemption but never ignores the brutal truth of the world we live in.
    -Elizabeth Crisp, Editor-in-Chief; Dustin Barnes, Managing Editor
    The 40 Year Old Virgin
    While “The 40-Year-Old Virgin” is not necessarily the best movie of the year, it is the best comedy. Writer and director Judd Apatow and co-writer and star Steve Carell take an idea that could have been made into a sterile movie, but turned it into a hilarious film with humor that has just the right amount of edge.
    -Sara McAdory, News Editor