Stennis-Montgomery attends inauguration

Twenty-four MSU students endured frigid weather and long lines to attend President George W. Bush’s inauguration last week.
    Each year, students most involved in the Stennis-Montgomery Association are rewarded with a trip to Washington. This was the sixth year students have gone to Washington and the second inauguration they have attended.
    “From all I could tell, they took advantage of every opportunity they had,” said Marty Wiseman, director of the Stennis Institute of Government, which sponsored the trip.
    Senior political science major Lindsey Tew said the inauguration was a great experience. Tew is also president of the College Republicans.
    “When we were standing in line waiting for the actual inauguration, we thought we weren’t going to get in because the security was so bad, and we were in line forever,” she said.
    Edward Sanders, a junior political science major, did not hear much of the speech. “I was too busy trying to find a good area to see people up there, and I happened to get some good tickets so I was trying to get as far up close to the president as I can,” he said. He ended up under the seal and only heard the last part of the speech and the prayer, but he read the speech later, he said.
    Sanders said a cannon fired before the inauguration. “There was a big explosion and everybody started ducking and stuff,” he said.
    Tew and Sanders said the event was packed. “I looked one time back down the mall toward the monuments. I mean, it was people for a mile,” Tew said.
    The group also saw protestors. “I saw at least six or seven who actually got in. They were in good seated areas, too, that got dragged away,” Sanders said.
    The students also participated in meetings with prominent senators, a luncheon with MSU alumni now working in Washington, a concert featuring B.B. King, visits to museums and inaugural balls and celebrations.
    Some students attended the confirmation hearing for Condoleezza Rice, President Bush’s nominee for Secretary of State. “I and some other people went to the Condoleezza Rice hearings and got to meet some people,” Sanders said.
    Students met Sens. Dick Lugar (R-Indiana) and John Kerry (D-Mass.) and other senators on the Foreign Relations Committee.
    Student Association president Adam Telle said he felt President Bush’s comments on spreading democracy made the inauguration significant. “I guess it wasn’t just any presidential inauguration,” Telle said.
    Telle said he enjoyed meeting MSU alumni who work in Washington. The presence of MSU alumni is growing there, he said.
    Tew was thankful for the opportunity to attend the inauguration. “I just think it’s a great opportunity that they provide us to get to meet other alumni there that are in Washington and to help us build those connections and stuff and to see that you don’t have to go to Ole Miss to be in politics,” she said.
    The students represented MSU well, Wiseman said. “Washington is sort of a conservative, dressed-up town and our students looked like they belonged,” he said.
    Although Sanders and Tew identify themselves as conservative and support the president, Tew said an inauguration is a good experience no matter who is being inaugurated. “The Democrats had a good attitude about it,” she said.
    The students also witnessed something rarely seen in Mississippi-snow. “I really enjoyed the snow,” Tew said, adding that they got 10 inches one day.