Perspective: AROUND CAMPUS

Uncle Sonny Returns
    After being whisked away by sculptors after the spring 2005 dedication, the statue of former Republican Gov. “Sonny” Montgomery has returned to campus. The problem is that many new and returning students don’t know the name of the statue because it has no plaque or marker.
    In 2002, the Student Association begin raising funds to honor Montgomery. Montgomery graduated from Mississippi State in 1943, served as SA president and was elected “Mr. Mississippi State.” He served 14 terms in Congress where he was the lead sponsor of the Montgomery G.I. Bill, which has provided millions of veterans financial assistance to attend college.
    Still in question is whether the proposed park with a columnar structure in honor of Old Main will ever be constructed. The park with the statue would make a great addition to the new campus entrance off Creelman Street and President’s Circle. The SA and the university administration should make this a top aesthetics priority for our campus.
    The New Malfunction Junction
    It appears that Malfunction Junction, without traffic, has been relocated to Barr Avenue across from Suttle Hall. Vehicles are routinely piled up on the avenue during the tops of most hours. Drivers have complained of 30-minute waits reminiscent or worse than those of a big city.
    After the Junction was dismantled, traffic was diverted to Russell Steet and Creelman Street. The plan was to have traffic flow freely from the area but, instead, most commuters and staff seem to be entering through Barr Avenue. The plan to keep student cars out of the center of campus hasn’t come to fruition yet.
    Starkville on the Move
    Starkville seems poised for unprecedented growth in the next few years. The previous mayor and Board of Aldermen can rightfully take some credit for facilitating new upscale projects like the Magnolia, the Cotton Mills and the renovations downtown.
    Our new mayor, Dan Camp, is a visionary if there ever was one. He once told of his vision for a trolley system running through Starkville, one which he proclaimed would be the only one outside of New Orleans in the Deep South. Although it is unclear whether he would still like to go forward with that idea, he has other grandiose plans focused around downtown.
    For example, his new urbanism approach includes converting Russell into a tree-lined boulevard to make the area more attractive with the addition of the upscale mixed-use condominiums that are proposed for the Cotton Mills and the Magnolia. New and upcoming establishments include, but are not limited to, the Boar’s Head, Gourmae, Shaherazad’s Middle Eastern Cuisine, the Coffee District and Up Your Alley Tamales. Rick’s is also under construction.
    Alderman Corey Gets a Blog
    As everyone in town knows, Starkville businesses will be able to sell cold beer. Alderman Richard Corey, coming off the heels of defeating an incumbent, offered the motion and every board member voted for the repeals except for P.C. McLaurin.
    Learning from what many saw as his defeated opponent’s disconnection from students, Corey has created a blog at www.jcorey.blogspot.com. He has written about the “Hot Beer” repeal and is making sure word gets out that he is helping students. Not shedding his Democratic roots, he has also posted about Pat Roberson’s controversial remarks, which CNN gleefully ran with. He should be commended for trying to reach his constituents via the blog scene.