New residence hall opens doors to freshmen

Freshman civil engineering major Thomas Fuller said he likes living in Ruby Hall, although he still doesn’t have cable TV or Internet access in his room.
    “I like the bathroom in the room. I’m in the big room, so I like that,” he said.
    The $20 million freshmen residence hall, which opened Aug. 13, is complete, but there are still some kinks to be worked out, Ann Bailey, director of housing and residence life, said.
    “We are still handling after-the-fact issues like a faulty card reader or telephone jack,” Bailey said, “but the residents are in and having a good experience already.”
    The 12 Ruby Hall staff members are learning what it’s like to open a new building, resident director Mike White said.
    “With Ruby being brand new, the small things are the most prominent problem. We feel a little more like landlords than residence hall staff right now with the number of complaints about faulty plugs and card readers,” White said.
    Ruby Hall presents a more difficult task to freshmen resident assistants as they attempt to fully introduce their residents to the college experience, Bailey said.
    “Students are thoroughly enjoying the private bathroom and hotel-style look, which leads to the main challenge for RAs: keeping the doors open and getting residents to interact and socialize,” Bailey said.
    Freshmen residing in Ruby Hall have a private bath in each room and individual room temperature control. The residents use their MSU ID cards to access their wings and their individual rooms.
    Ruby has one large main lobby with a snack bar and six other lobbies throughout the building, as well as six kitchens, six laundry rooms, four elevators and a computer lab, White said. The rooms come in two sizes: 13 feet by 27 feet double rooms and 12 feet by 21 feet double and single rooms.
    “Dr. Ruby himself came by during move in and he loves the hall,” White said.
    Although Ruby Hall houses both male and female students, males and females live on separate halls that can only be accessed by the residents of each hall.
    The Residence Hall Association looks forward to the addition of another hall, RHA president Tim Jackson said.
    “The addition of this breathtaking residence hall provides us the chance to offer the programs and services that build leaders and community in our halls to an even larger number of MSU students,” Jackson said.
    A party will take place in the Ruby Hall courtyard Friday, Sept. 2, featuring BBQ, MSU Ice Cream and the Patrick Smith Band. The dedication and ribbon cutting ceremony for Ruby Hall will take place September 3.
    The ground breaking for the S. Bryce Griffis residence hall, which will house the University Honors Program, will also take place at the ceremony, Bailey said.
    21 feet double and single rooms.