Rock ‘n’ Roll lecturer highlights ’80s music

Renowned music lecturer Barry Drake will take center stage in the Colvard Union’s Dawg House next Wednesday night to present a lecture on the vibrant world of ’80s rock.
    Drake, who was named Campus Lecturer of the Year five times by the National Association for Campus Activities and who is also a three-time winner of Campus Activities Magazine’s Lecturer of the Year Award, has been delivering his popular rock ‘n’ roll lectures since 1984, manager and agent Patricia Padla said.
    Drake became immersed in the world of music half a century ago, attending Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry concerts in New York City.
    “He’s definitely a music fanatic,” Padla said.
    Once a Capitol Records performer and songwriter himself, Drake’s associates have included the likes of The Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane.
    “He has so many stories,” CAB speakers’ forum division head Bobbie Lee Daniels said. “He’s hung out with musicians we’ve only dreamed about [being around]. He’s all about rock ‘n’ roll.”
    According to Daniels, Barry Drake is a CAB regular.
    “He came last year and did a presentation on ’60s rock,” CAB film and recreation division head Sarah Humber said. “It was an intimate setting-we pulled couches around him, and he played guitar and talked. It’s comfortable, and there’s a lot of crowd interaction. A good amount of people came last year, and we’re hoping for more this year,” she said.
    “Barry Drake is a fabulous music historian. He knows tons and tons of musicians,” CAB Dawg House division head Erica Nix said. “The presentation he gave last year about the ’60s was great, and CAB is so excited about this year’s ’80s presentation.”
    According to Nix, students can expect “a multimedia presentation with slides, group participation and more.”
    “It was the most amazing thing I’ve seen in my life,” an enthusiastic Daniels said of Drake’s presentation last year.
    Many students are excited about the decade to be discussed next week.
    “It’s always interesting to hear others’ thoughts and opinions about music,” sophomore biology major Kassie Hillard said. “The ’80s rock era is one that we can all identify with because we were surrounded by it while growing up.”
    “Listening to those [’80s] songs now is just fun because I like the general style of music from that era, and it reminds me of the old days,” graduate student Craig Ross said.
    “The ’80s rock my face off,” sophomore anthropology major Elizabeth Battise said, echoing Ross’s sentiments.
    Those in the mood for a little MTV history, Michael Jackson trivia, or old-school Madonna can grab their air guitars, tease their bangs and head over to the Dawg House at 7 p.m. Wednesday.