Voodoo enchants Memphis

The 2005 Voodoo Music Experience will be held in Memphis’ Auto Zone Park Sunday, Oct. 30, to keep the New Orleans tradition going strong despite the recent hurricane.
    A series of free night shows will begin Thursday and continue throughout the weekend.
    The music-filled Halloween weekend experience will benefit the New Orleans Restoration Fund. This will in turn go toward the restoration of homes, businesses and culture of New Orleans.
    Voodoo Music Experience producer Stephen Rehage said Memphis is an excellent choice for the relocation of the event.
    “Because Memphis and New Orleans have similar musical cultures and the same kind of energy, the move to Memphis was an easy choice,” Rehage said. “We are incredibly grateful to the city of Memphis for extending their hospitality to this year’s Voodoo Music Experience.”
    The artist line up for the weekend includes: Nine Inch Nails, The Secret Machines, Cake, North Mississippi Allstars, Carl Cox, The Decemberists, New York Dolls, Cowboy Mouth, Mindless Self Indulgence, HIM, Dan Dyer, The Giraffes, World Leader Pretend, Will Hoge, Ghost, The Compromise, On a Dead Machine, Mrs. Fletcher, Negative Poles, Augustine and Of Autumn and more.
    Better than Ezra, who performed at Rick’s Caf‹¨ last week, is also among the line-up of popular artists.
    “Voodoo has always been about the diversity of music, and we’ve worked hard to ensure that many types of music are represented for the fans,” Rehage said. “Throughout the last seven years, we have hosted artists with a wide array of musical styles and influences.”
    The festival is also scheduled to take place in its original New Orleans home Saturday, Oct. 29, but it will be an invitation only event for New Orleans police, firefighters, National Guard and other relief workers. It will serve as the first full-scale entertainment event to be held inside city limits since Hurricane Katrina.
    Some MSU students have already purchased tickets and look forward to the eventful weekend.
    “[Voodoo Fest] gives people a chance to experience all different types of music and fun in a very close venue,” sophomore Doss Earnest said. “I have always wanted to go in New Orleans, but now I don’t have to.”
    Tickets for the Memphis event are $35 and can be purchased through www.ticketmaster.com or the nearest Ticketmaster vender.
    For more information about the Voodoo Music Festival, the schedule or how to make donations visit www.voodoomusicfest.com.