Women finish second with Mathis’ third place

The Mississippi State women’s golf team shot an 899 at the Lady Paladin Invitational this past weekend and finished second in the team competition.
    Two Lady Bulldogs also finished in the top 10 of the individual race, marking the first time that has happened since last season at the Papa John’s Invitational.
    All-SEC junior Amanda Mathis led MSU for the third time this season, shooting a 222 and finished in a tie for third. Senior Stephanie Godare fired a 222, only four strokes more than the winner, and finished in eighth.
    Sophomore Julia Huh fired a career low 71 in the first round and finished in 15th which was also a career high.
    Ashleigh Korzack and red shirt freshman Marli Mikulecky both shot a 238 for the three-round event to round out the scoring for the MSU.
    “I was pleased with our team effort this weekend,” MSU head coach Christi Sanders said. “We shot the low round in the third round, and it proves they can fight it out to the bitter end. Julia played steady from start to finish, and it is nice to see Ashleigh come back and play steady like she has all season long.”
    Through three tournaments this fall, the Lady Bulldogs have a stroke average of 301.44, which is currently on pace to be the best in the program’s 25-year history. They have finished in the top five of all three events as a team and have also placed at least two players in the top 15 of all three.
    Mathis currently leads MSU in the stroke average catagory with a 73.33 just ahead of Godare who holds a 75.00 average.
    Host Furman, who lead through all three rounds, won the team competition with a team score of 894.