Yoakam set to perform at Remington’s Hunt Club

Remington’s Hunt Club will host a performance by two-time Grammy award winner Dwight Yoakam Thursday.
    The opening act Kyote Wylde, a country group familiar to the Starkville community, will kick things off before Yoakam hits the stage.
    “This is our first major concert in almost two years,” Hunt Club manager Corey Poole said. “Were trying to get back into the national scene and this is a good start.”
    Yoakam is known for a collection of songs, including his version of “Crazy Little Thing Called Love,” which was used in 1999 as a Gap clothing store jingle. His 1986 debut, Guitars, Cadillacs, Etc., Etc., started him off in the right direction, reaching double-platinum status.
    He continued to create music through hits such as “Hillbilly Deluxe” in 1987 to his most recent studio album of 2003 titled Population: Me.
    Not only has Yoakam achieved credit for his musical abilities, he has starred in numerous films, one in which he directed, titled “South of Heaven, West of Hell” in 2001.
    The cast included a wide range of well-known actors Billy Bob Thornton, Bridget Fonda, Vince Vaughn and Paul Reubens, better known as Peewee Herman to most.
    Much praise has been to given to Yoakam for his role in “Sling Blade,” which received an Oscar in 1996, and his role as Raoul in the blockbuster hit “Panic Room” starring Jodi Foster.
    Born in Kentucky and making his rounds through Nashville and Los Angeles, Yoakam has achieved his status as one of the most popular country music stars of the decade.
    He has made a variety of notable television guest appearances on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” “The Daily Show,” “Ellen,” “Howard Stern,” “King of the Hill” and “Saturday Night Live,” where he was a musical guest.
    He recently recorded an album, which will be released in spring 2006 for New West Records.
    Yoakam is currently touring the United States to promote his upcoming album.
    The doors open at 6 p.m. with the show following about 8:30 p.m. For more information, visit www.huntorbehunted.com or call 323-2892.