Volleyball Dawgs clinch first winning season in four years

“Play every game like it’s your last.”
    Those are words of advice that senior volleyball player Andrea Mead would like to give the younger volleyball Bulldogs.
    The Bulldogs faced the harsh reality of a possible sooner last game than they hoped for, as they came into last weekend scrapping for a spot in the Southeastern Conference postseason tournament.
    The Dawgs had three matches over the weekend and needed to win at least two of the three to stay alive in the tournament hunt. They did just that, losing to Arkansas and beating Georgia and LSU to still stay alive in the SEC Tournament hunt while clinching their first winning campaign since 2000.
    “This [weekend] gives us more adrenaline than fatigue,” sophomore middle blocker Erin Seago said. “We just have to keep our bodies healthy and not think about how sore or tired we are. We have to push ahead. Our goals right now are to get as many wins as we can and get into the SEC Tournament.”
    These were the last three matches of the Bulldogs’ season at home in what has been a much-improved year for MSU volleyball in terms of fan support.
    “Our fans were great this year,” sophomore Megan Lukasek said. “They make so much more of a difference than they think they do. When I hear them clapping when we come off the court for a time out, or cheer when I get a tough dig, it just lifts me up so much.”
    Friday
    MSU opened the weekend on Friday, taking a strong SEC-West leading Arkansas team to five games but eventually losing. Game scores were 30-23, 22-30, 25-30, 30-24 and 4-15, with Arkansas taking the second, third and fifth games.
    “I think the team did a great job,” said freshman outside hitter Cristina Jucan, who came off the bench against UA to mount eight kills. We had great team effort. The girls worked together, and everything was kind of in our favor. Things kind of got out of our reach at the end, but we’ll get over it.”
    Jucan seemed to give the Dawgs and the fans a burst of energy when she entered the game. Her vibe was recognized by the coaches.
    “Cristina is a player that has a very unusual talent,” assistant coach Chris Cothran said. “Her arm swing is something that has evolved over several years and is something that cannot be taught. She’s so technically sound that when she sees even a small hole, she’ll probably make a clean kill.”
    Saturday
    Saturday featured a continuation of the MSU-Georgia game that was postponed due to campus tornadoes from Sept. 25. The match restarted in game three, with the match score tied 1-1 and the game score 3-3. MSU would go on to win the match with scores of 30-22, 26-30, 30-20 and 30-28.
    “[This essentially] became a best two-of-three match, and I’m glad we were able to get it done with two games tonight,” MSU head coach Tina Seals said Sunday. “It’s an important win since it puts us back in the hunt for a berth in the SEC Tournament later this month in Tuscaloosa.”
    Sunday
    MSU closed out the triple-header Sunday afternoon in its last home match of the season with a tough match against LSU, who had already clinched a berth in the SEC tournament.The MSU volleyball seniors, Rachel Cooper, Andrea Mead, Jamie Cross and Kelly Willinger, were recognized on a special Senior Salute Sunday. MSU was able to use the emotion and excitement from the ceremonies to beat LSU 3-1 in games of 30-27, 27-30, 30-25 and 30-25 clinching a berth in the SEC Tournament.
    “Our seniors are great leaders,” Lukasek said. “They show us how we’re supposed to play and have been great influences on all of us. They will be very missed. Even after they leave, though, I know I can talk to them if I need them, and I can always count on them.”
    “I’m excited for everybody,” said Mead, who was nearly at a loss for words after the match. “I’m excited for the team, but I think the biggest feeling I have right now is that I’m proud of everyone. Getting into the tournament has always been something that we want to accomplish, and now we have hopes of winning it.”
    Mississippi State’s team chemistry appeared stronger than ever in the match against LSU, and Jucan attributes that to an intangible bond all of the players share.
    “It’s almost like an inside secret,” Jucan said. “We know how to work together; we know how to develop chemistry. We’ve been working on trying not to get down and always looking up.”
    MSU has two matches remaining in the regular season at Georgia and at Florida this weekend. If they beat Georgia and South Carolina loses to Tennessee the Bulldogs will claim the No. 7 seed in the SEC Tournament.