Mouillon wins singles title

Mississippi State sophomore Pierre Mouillon won the Division A singles title at the Hibernia Tennis Classic this past weekend in Lafayette, La.
    Mouillon, ranked 121st nationally, defeated Southeastern Louisiana’s Amanjot Singh 6-0, 7-6 in the championship match, marking the first tournament win by a Bulldog since Romain Ambert won the ITA Southeast Region Indoors in 2003. Mouillon won four matches en route to claiming his first career tournament title.
    “I thought Pierre played well, and it was good to see him win the tournament to close out the fall,” assistant coach Michael Metz said. “The biggest thing for the entire team this weekend was to get some matches in and play as much as we could, and I think we accomplished that.”
    In other singles action, Bulldog senior Florent Girod reached the finals of Division B singles before falling to Southeastern Louisiana’s Ilie Babinciuc 7-5, 6-1. Girod won three matches after receiving a bye to reach the finals. Freshman Ryan Farlow won four matches before falling in the semifinals of Division B singles.
    MSU sophomore Philippe Frayssinoux reached the semifinals and was scheduled to play Mouillon but was forced to withdraw from the tournament.
    In other Division B singles action, Josh Irey split a pair of matches.
    Also reaching the finals for the Bulldogs was doubles team of Farlow and Eric Lim. Farlow and Lim won their first two matches before falling 8-6 to Southeastern Louisiana’s Babinciuc and Vlad Paunic in the championship. The other doubles team of Girod and Mouillon won two matches reaching the semifinals of Division A doubles.
    The Hibernia Tennis Classic concluded fall play for MSU. The Bulldogs will open their spring season at the Southeastern Conference Indoor Championships in Lexington, Ky., on Jan. 20-23.