Three Miss. Legislature bills affect universities

Mississippi legislators are considering three bills that concern state universities and colleges.
    The deadline to propose new legislation for this session was Feb. 10. The state House of Representatives passed three bills on to the state Senate that could affect MSU students. Senate committees are currently reviewing the proposals.
    House Bill 524 allows out-of-state students to claim their mother’s residency for in-state tuition.
    This bill has been passed to the Senate Universities and Colleges Committee and the Appropriations Committee.
    “I think this bill will definitely pass. It’s a measure of fairness for divorced parents and there’s nothing to oppose it,” said Sid Salter, an MSU alumnus and Clarion-Ledger columnist.
    If passed, the bill will increase revenue from tuition and create competition between schools, Salter said. The bill will not affect voter residency.
    Proposed House Bill 904 allows casino gaming courses to be taught at colleges, which could draw attention from religious organizations and local churches.
    The bill was passed on to the Finance Committee.
    “It should be given strong consideration,” said Marty Wiseman, director of the Stennis Institute of Government. “Schools like Nevada and Tulane already have a gaming administration, and they’re recruiting tons of students MSU might have otherwise.”
    The University of Southern Mississippi and several community colleges have been pushing this piece of legislation because of the 60,000 jobs created by casinos in Mississippi.
    “It’s simply foolish not to pass this law. The universities haven’t asked to play black jack,” Salter said. “They have only requested to enable students to get a job in a legal industry.”
    House Bill 1132 allows state fire inspections for fraternity and sorority houses.
    The bill comes after a fire burned down the University of Mississippi’s Alpha Tau Omega fraternity house in August, killing three. The Senate Insurance Committee is currently reviewing the proposal.
    “We have lost too many kids to foul play,” state Rep. Ferr Smith (D-Carthage) said. “This law will give mothers across Mississippi the assurance that their children are protected.”