Biological sciences professor selected Adviser of the Year

A biological sciences professor was named 2004’s academic adviser of the year.
    The professor, Don Downer, said listening to his students is the most important part of his job.
    Downer left Canada 25 years ago, where he worked in the biochemistry department at the University of Alberta Medical School, and he has lived in Starkville since then.
    Student after student has credited Downer for his or her entrance into medical school.
    “Don has what you call an open door policy,” said Wesley Ammon, the coordinator for the Academic Advising Center. “He sees the students through to the end and truly cares about their future.”
    Ryan Claire Propst, a senior who Downer advises, said he knows everyone by name. “Even people who don’t have him as an adviser go to him for help,” Propst said.
    “There’s nothing to dislike about my career,” Downer said. “I really appreciate those students who struggle and barely get by just as much as the students who end up attending Harvard. You have to listen, and that’s what really matters,” Downer said.
    Downer helped Propst receive the Harned Memorial Scholarship.
    He was nominated by professor and biological sciences head Narasaiah Gavini and chosen by a selection committee. The committee reviews numerous packets including information on each adviser and reference letters from several students.
    “These letters have a very big impact on the committees decision,” Ammon said. “It is very important how students see their adviser.”
    In Downer’s spare time, he enjoys attending MSU athletic events with his wife, Jackie, and his son, Phillip, an MSU freshman. He also enjoys lounging on Sunday afternoons, muting the television on the PGA tournament and listening to the Prarie Home Companion entertainment program from Lake Wobegon, Minn.
    “He is a great adviser and is very deserving of this award,” Ammon said.