Cheating is not the correct answer

Two weeks of classes left! This statement brings a smile to the faces of some students. However, many of you may be worried that two weeks is not enough time to bring up those grades. There are many methods that can help you improve your grades; one I hope you will avoid is cheating.
    I know from experience the temptation to cheat is strong. Who wouldn’t want a relatively easy way to gain a good grade without having to put forth much effort? Cheating seems like the ideal test-taking technique until one considers the consequences.
    Mississippi State University’s policy refers to cheating as “academic misconduct.” This term includes a variety of deceptive activities, such as using your book or notes during an exam and copying from another person. If you are caught, the penalties for cheating can be severe, possibly resulting in expulsion from the university.
    Although the possibility of punishment deters some, most of us know many cheaters will never be caught. This being the case, why does everyone not cheat? If you get away with it, it must be OK, right? Wrong. I do not refuse to cheat because I am scared of being penalized; I refuse because it is an unfair and dishonest action that defrauds not only my professors and fellow students but myself.
    Professors give tests to ascertain whether their students are learning the material or not. Cheating on a test deceives the professor into thinking the information is understood. In essence, you are lying to the teacher. Also, not only are you being dishonest, but you are demonstrating contempt for the class and the professor. Cheating implies the subject was not one you wanted to invest time in. This is selfishness at its utmost. If you are taking a class, you have an obligation to learn the material. If you choose not to, that is fine; however, you should accept the bad grade. Professors invest time and energy in their classes; you are expected to do the same.
    Cheating not only affects professors but also other students. Most students work hard and study to get good grades. It is unfair and extremely selfish for you to bypass the work and get the same or a better grade than an honest student. You are stealing something your fellow students have earned. When you are in a long line somewhere, doesn’t it infuriate you when someone skips you? Your fellow students feel the same way when you cheat on an assignment.
    The person most affected by cheating is yourself. Cheating cultivates laziness by imprinting on your mind that you don’t have to work for success. What will you do in the workplace when you can’t secretly use your notes or copy from your neighbor? When you dishonestly achieve a good grade, you have earned nothing.
    There are many perfectly acceptable reasons for wanting good grades-to look good on your rsum, to please your parents, to keep your scholarship, etc. However, not one of these reasons justifies dishonesty. Grades are supposed to be a reflection of what you have learned from a class. If you cheat, your grades are meaningless.
    Cheating is often an act of desperation. Do not allow yourself to get into a hopeless situation. Attend class and take notes. Read your syllabus and prepare early for tests. If you are busy, prioritize your time and write down assignments. Be fair to others and to yourself. Ultimately, it all comes down to integrity.