Policy changes free speech on campus

Mississippi State University’s free speech and assembly policy has changed, eliminating the free speech area located between the YMCA building and George Hall but creating a new policy governing free speech on all parts of campus.
    “I found that the Free Speech and Assembly policy had last been reviewed in the mid-1990’s and was outdated in terms of the case law around the country applicable to this area,” Vice President of Student Affairs Bill Kibler said. “So we collapsed three policies into one and modified the policy to ensure that it is compliant with current case law.”
    He said the new policy provides for greater freedoms and greater clarity regarding expression and assembly on MSU’s campus.
    According to the new rule, reasonable time, place and manner restrictions will be enforced. However, the enforcement will not depend in any way on the subject matter involved in an expressive activity.
    “The designated free speech area basically precluded speakers on other parts of campus and was traditionally done on other universities as well,” dean of students Mike White said. “We have essentially opened up the campus for expression of ideas.”
    Stacey Mann, an instructor in the department of communication who wrote her Master’s thesis on speech codes at public universities, said the new policy is fairly standard.
    “Some universities and colleges do have a free speech area, but most universities and colleges are public property so people can come and say what they want as long as it doesn’t interfere with the flow of traffic or people walking by.”
    Michael Venyah, who has preached in the free speech area for months, is now able to leave his daily spot and move elsewhere to speak his opinions.
    “He likes the designated free speech area,” White said. “He has a very distinct style of being able to project his voice, so I think he will stay put.”
    The rule outlines specific procedures and guidelines. For example, no amplification may be used and the use of campus land is on a temporary basis. Also, no activity that blocks access to university buildings, streets, sidewalks or facilities will be permitted.
    Students can read the policy by going to www.msstate.edu/dept/audit/ and clicking on the Recent Policy Changes link.