Three for three: Berkery playing third position in three years

Learning to play any baseball position in a Division 1 program is tough. Bulldog player Thomas Berkery has learned three.
    The junior from Sarasota, Fla., served as the opening day catcher for the team last weekend in their victory over Eastern Illinois. This time last year he was settling into the starting role at third base, after playing second base for the maroon and white just the previous year.
    “(Thomas) is one of our better athletes if not our best athlete,” Bulldog head coach Ron Polk said. “And generally athletes can play a lot of positions if they’re right handed throwers. Thomas played second base for us well, played third base for us last year, he’s a catcher this year and he’s playing some third base for us also, and in the pinch he could play second again. So if you have a kid like that, it’s like three for one.”
    The continuous switching of positions requires a dedicated work regiment and constant reconditioning of skills to adjust to a new position. This kind of incessant change would drive most players crazy trying to keep up. Berkery, however, enjoys the experience.
    “It’s fun,” Berkery said. “I get to kind of show my skills off, (but also) do what I need to do for the team. That’s my main focus.”
    Berkery is no stranger to playing multiple positions. Growing up, he said, it was no big deal to play all over the field.
    “When you’re younger, you play a little bit of everything,” Berkery said. “I’ve played shortstop and outfield, too. (Playing multiple positions) is just something I came to know.”
    Not every player can claim to be as versatile as Berkery. Only 12 of the 43 other players currently on the Bulldog roster are listed as being able to play more than one position, with only one-sophomore Ben Grisham-listed as being able to play three.
    “I think it’s just a knowledge for each position,” Berkery assessed. “Second base is a lot of knowing where to be and the right time – double plays, covering the base for steals. Third base is just being ready. The ball is gonna be hit pretty hard so just try to stay in front of it. When it comes to catching, it’s just mostly knowing what’s going on, paying attention to everything and showing leadership.”
    Polk says he will use both Berkery and freshman Ed Easley at the catcher position as the team heads into this weekend’s National Bank of Commerce Classic, with action beginning for MSU today at 3 p.m. vs. Austin Peay.
    Play will continue Saturday afternoon against Kansas at 4:30, with a rematch against the Jayhawks scheduled for Sunday afternoon.
    The Jayhawks and Governors are 12-5 and 4-2 respectively, while the Bulldogs are 3-0 after punishing the Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils 14-7 in midweek action.