Treasurer Candidates

Spencer Broocks
    Senior
    Brandon
    Management, Accounting minor
    Spencer Broocks has been busy preparing for SA elections this week. Broocks, 22, is a senior majoring in management with a minor in accounting. Broocks is running in hopes of becoming the next treasurer for the SA.
    “Ever since I started school here I wanted to be involved in the university,” Broocks said.
    Broocks has, indeed, been involved. He currently serves as treasurer for the Phi Delta Theta fraternity and is a member of the SA Academic Affairs committee.
    Broocks said that his experience qualifies him as treasurer because he knows how to budget and appropriate money properly, specifically because of his current position as treasurer for Phi Delta Theta.
    He was elected as treasurer for the fraternity last semester and has many responsibilities in handling the organization’s finances.
    “I’m responsible for the payroll, budget, dues and bills within the fraternity, as well as discrepancies in bills,” Broocks said.
    Broocks is also involved in the SA’s Academic Affairs Committee, a group of students pushing for an optimal academic experience for students at Mississippi State.
    Broocks said that the committee is a tie between the students and the university, taking student interests and presenting them to the university.
    “The SA is a great liaison between the university and the students,” said Broocks, “that’s why the [treasurer] position is crucial.”
    The SA treasurer will be responsible for budgeting finances and appropriating money to organizations on campus.
    Broocks said that if elected, he will appropriate those funds in a fair manner.
    The funds in question are gathered from the revenue collected from the 2 percent food and beverage tax in Starkville. The SA receives 20 percent of the annual revenue, roughly $200,000 per year.
    “I plan to make sure that the new tax revenue is appropriated the best way possible,” Broocks said.
    “Every organization deserves an equal chance,” he added.
    Aside from campus organizations, the new treasurer will also be responsible for funding university-related events in the community.
    “I’d like to see more funding towards Bulldog Bash and other events in the community,” Broocks said. “Having a good working relationship with the city is important,” he added.
    Broocks also added that he is confident in his campaign.
    Matt Vitart
    Junior
    Aiea, Hawaii
    Economics, Pre-law
    Matt Vitart’s academics are on hold this semester, as he is interning at the National Economic Council located in the famous West Wing of the White House in Washington, D.C. However, Vitart took a few days’ leave from his position to make an appearance on campus and campaign for the SA treasurer position.
    “The deal was I knew it was important to come down and campaign,” he said. “I am serious about the job, and I figured if I’m serious I just needed to be here.”
    Vitart decided to run for treasurer to serve the SA and stimulate competition in the election.
    “I was considering running for SA Senate or Cabinet,” he said, “but having an unopposed election isn’t good for students, so I ran for treasurer.”
    Vitart said that he is interested in the position as treasurer, but more so in helping students and making Mississippi State better.
    “Anybody can plug numbers into Excel, but a treasurer needs to be able to cooperate with organizations to manage money and fix any pre-existing problems,” he said.
    Vitart’s experience includes serving as co-director of campus outreach, which he said built relationships with student organizations and linked them to the SA. He also has membership in the Pre-Law Society, the Stennis-Montgomery Association and the College Republicans.
    He also worked at two real estate firms in Mississippi during previous semesters and breaks. Also, his internship in Washington is providing him with experience in economics.
    “I work primarily in small business, international and minority economics,” Vitart said. “It’s a big job, I work about 50 hours a week. It’s been tough but fun, I’m ready to come home though.”
    Vitart said that he even already has plans on how to appropriate the funds acquired from the tax revenue.
    If elected, Vitart he said he plans to use a large percentage of the money to promote student body activities like Bulldog Bash, Old Main Music Festival and Super Bulldog Weekend. Another large portion of money will go in appropriating funds to organizations, which he said every organization would get a fair share of.
    Since Vitart’s intern position won’t allow him to be back in Mississippi until May, he promises that he will stay in Starkville for a month to catch up on the work he will miss when the new treasurer’s term begins in April.
    “I recognize it’s crucial to be here to take care of the duties,” Vitart said. “There’s always the Internet, and I’ve been in contact with the current treasurer to keep up with the situation.”
    Vitart is confident in his campaign despite being 1,000 miles from campus. “I’m in DC this semester, but heart is at MSU,” he said. “I’m ready to get back, hopefully having the opportunity to serve as treasurer next semester,” he added.