Support Dawgs in Bama rivalry

There is no reason to recite the score. There is no need in asking “Who won?” We all remember. Those who bleed maroon can recall with clarity the horrifying images of Alabama players draining three pointers as our Dawgs looked on helplessly. We also remember Alabama’s head coach, Mark Gottfried, leaving in his starters well after the Tide had secured the win.
    For those in attendance, you can recall the sick feeling in your stomach as you exited Coleman Coliseum beneath an onslaught of “unsportsmanlike” comments from Bama fans, a scene that is all too familiar for us State fans leaving football games (see 1981-1995).
    There is something unique about our rivalry with Alabama. There is this sort of “We’re not snobs, we’re just better than you” attitude from Bama and their fans whenever we play them-in any sport. Which kind of sounds similar to “that other school,” now doesn’t it?
    But unlike in our series vs. “that other school” (one in which we dominate having won eight straight), the series with Bama has that “rivalry” feel to it. I suppose that has something to do with State and Bama having such successful programs.
    You can also throw in the fact that these two schools are the SEC’s closest geographically speaking, which makes for some interesting recruiting battles between Stansbury and Gottfried.
    MSU fans, this game has the makings of being something special. But it’s up to you! Yes, that’s right, it’s up to the Bulldog Nation to make this game “Ours!”
    The back of the Rick’s Rowdies T-shirt states, “This Is OUR HOUSE.” Well, there’s not much more you could ask for. This will be the final game at The Hump with post-season tournament positioning on the line versus our biggest rival in basketball, on Senior Day, which just happens to be the last game of the regular season. As you can see this means a lot.
    It means a lot to our coaches. They are preparing as you read this. It means a lot to the players. You better believe they would love to redeem themselves after their showing in Tuscaloosa. It means a lot to our university, which seems to have to prove itself over and over again against the Kentuckys and Alabamas of this world. Saturday is our shot. It’s our shot for redemption, for revenge and for payback. I know the Dawgs will come ready to play. Will you come ready to cheer?
    Sean Covich is a graduate student in physical education.