Bulldog netters win one, lose one

On the last weekend before SEC play, both nationally ranked Mississippi State tennis teams were in action in a weekend that yielded both a record breaker and an upset.
    The 75th Lady Netters improved to 6-0 overall as they defeated Troy Trojans at the A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre.
    The 31st ranked Netmen, meanwhile, dropped to 5-3 on the season as the 45th ranked Blue Raiders of Middle Tennessee ended their winless streak against the Bulldogs.
    Coming into the match Saturday against the Trojans the Lady Netters were riding a wave of confidence after defeating the 42nd ranked Jaguars of South Alabama in Mobile Thursday. Early in the contest it was clear that the Lady Netters were not emotionally drained as they shut out the Trojans 7-0.
    “Against South Alabama we all came out fired up, full of energy … we wanted to continue the play against Troy,” junior Anastasia Kugakolova said. “Although the level of play was not the same as South Alabama, we knew going in that anything could happen, but we were ready to compete.”
    Spearheading the shutout were 32nd ranked duo of Kugakolova and Zsuzsanna Fodor. At the top position the duo remained perfect in doubles action defeating Tsitsi Masviba and Claudia Strauss 8-3.
    In other doubles action, freshman Polina Kokoulina and senior Magdi Rekasi defeated Suzanne Jones and Nicole Shaw 8-3 at the No. 2 spot. At the third spot the Rudman sisters, Tarryn and Hayley, remained undefeated as they posted a shutout victory over Shamiaa Elsisi and Christina Mancheno.
    “We work well together and we see each other working really hard and encourage each other as much as we can,” sophomore Hayley Rudman said.
    In singles play, 26th ranked Fodor posted career victory 26 and moved into a tie for fourth place on the singles season win list as she defeated Strauss 6-1, 6-2 on court one.
    In a battle at the fifth spot, freshman Renee Joseph sealed the deal for the Lady Netters as she defeated Mancheno 7-6(2), 6-4.
    With the Lady Netters’ win, head coach Tracy Lane took sole possession of first place for the most coaching victories with 69, passing Andy Jackson.
    “To be honest, I didn’t know about the record until my manager brought it to my attention,” Lane said. “It’s not my focus to break records but on winning. We were focused on beating South Alabama and Troy and now SEC play.”
    Next up for the Lady Netters is conference play as they travel to take on the Kentucky Wildcats Friday for a 3 p.m. eastern time start.
    On Sunday, due to rains, the Nettmen were forced to play indoors at McCarthy Gymnasium.
    Early in the contest it was clear the Nettmen were in for a battle. The Blue Raiders made the first blow by sweeping doubles and taking the first point.
    “We knew coming in the best chance to win today would be to take doubles. We competed hard today and were fortunate,” Blue Raiders head coach Dale Short said.
    The 45th ranked Blue Raiders carried their momentum into singles play as they posted a 4-0 shutout.
    “In past years we’ve had good talent, but this year we’re putting it together. We’ve got a lot of potential to go far and deep into the NCAA,” senior Blue Raider Greg Pollack said.
    Nettmen head coach Sylvain Guichard recognized that “going into the match we know Middle Tennessee is very good in doubles. Today we just didn’t play our best.”
    The Nettmen now must reload as they host 14th ranked Kentucky Wildcats on Friday, at 2 p.m. and 17th ranked Vanderbilt Commodores Sunday at 1 p.m.