Replacing Dak

Sarah Story | The Reflector

Dak Prescott’s absence leaves a hole in Mississippi State’s team.

Mississippi State football is well into training camp as they prepare for the 2016 football season.

Dan Mullen will  enter his eighth season at MSU, which makes him the third longest tenured coach in the SEC behind Nick Saban at Alabama and Les Miles at LSU. It will be a new season for MSU as they adjust to life without Dak Prescott. The absence of Prescott leads to uncertainty about the quarterback position.

“I don’t think there is anybody who would be happier about knowing who the starting quarterback is than me,” Mullen said at MSU’s media day. “These guys can make some extraordinary plays but the big thing we need is who can make the play every single snap, who can constantly perform.”

What was originally a four-way battle was trimmed to three when Elijah Staley announced his decision to transfer. The other three contenders are sophomore Nick Fitzgerald, senior Damian Williams and freshman Nick Tiano. However, with Staley leaving, MSU found a new walk-on quarterback in Wyatt Roberts, who was also star of the Netflix series “Last Chance U”

On defense, MSU replaced their entire defensive staff. Brian Baker takes over the defensive line, Terrell Buckley will coach cornerbacks and is the new recruiting coordinator. Maurice Linguist is the new safety coach while Peter Sirmon is the new defensive coordinator and linebackers coach. Sirmon gave his thoughts on camp so far. 

“Coach Mullen says all the time we are still in camp mode and camp mode is compete mode,” Sirmon said. “Guys are still jockeying for positions, they’re trying to put themselves in a situation where they are invaluable to the team and need to be on the field.” 

While some players are competing, some positions are already solidified. Mississippi State returns some of their defensive production in seniors Richie Brown and A.J. Jefferson. Brown, a linebacker, ranked fifth in the SEC last season with 109 tackles. Jefferson, a defensive lineman, led the team in tackles for loss with 13.5. Also returning is freak athlete and sophomore Brandon Bryant. Bryant, a safety, broke out last season having 63 tackles, three interceptions and one forced fumble.

While losing Prescott, MSU does return some of their production. Senior Fred Ross returns with 1007 yards on 88 catches last season. Alongside Ross  is senior running back Brandon Holloway who had 33 catches for 396 yards, 92 rushes for 428 yards and 24 kick returns for 567 yards and a touchdown. Holloway talked about the void Dak leaves. 

“He was a great leader,” Holloway said. “It just gives somebody else the chance to step up and I think we have great leaders who are stepping up.”

MSU’s first two games will be at home with South Alabama on Sept. 3 and  South Carolina on Sept. 10. Cowbell Yell will be on Thursday, Sept. 1.