Frios and Churn and Spoon: a cool take on the dessert game

After a long summer, Starkville found a way to beat the heat. Recently, two new cool eateries have opened up in Starkville: Frios Gourmet Popsicles and Churn & Spoon ice cream.  Both of these have quality ingredients and friendly service.

Frios is located in downtown Starkville. They have all of their ingredients handmade in Gadsden, Alabama or in their shop. Frios has a wide selection of popsicles, but they are nothing like the kind out of the box. At Frios, the popsicles taste fresh and juicy. In addition, Frios popsicles last longer  before melting.

Urelainé Simon-Hart, the owner of Starkville’s Frios, fell in love with popsicles at a Mexican restaurant, where she tried paletas, and a dream was born. The favorite flavors at Starkville Frios are root beer float and caramel. 

Frios has quite a few staple flavors that can be bought year round, in addition to several seasonal flavors. All of their popsicles are sweetened with organic cane sugar or not sweetened at all. A list of flavors is online, on the Frios website, http://www.friospops.com/.

“Not one particular person likes popsicles,” Simon-Hart said. “They’re for everyone. It’s the newest, coolest thing.”

Churn & Spoon is making ripples in the way folks think about ice cream by adding nitrogen. Each ‘nitro’ ice cream is made to order in front of the customer. They start with an ice cream base and freeze it for about twenty seconds in -321 degrees liquid nitrogen. This is done to stop ice crystals from forming—making a treat that tastes like a mix of gelato and soft serve ice cream. 

The favorite at Churn & Spoon is key lime pie, a sweet and tangy ice cream with bits of crust. 

While they do not have a ton of flavors in nitro, they have an imaginative selection of regular ice cream flavors. Churn & Spoon even features a few vegan ice cream flavors—currently unvailable in nitro. They are also selling ice cream cakes of any flavor and milkshakes of a few. 

The folks at Churn & Spoon would like students to let them know if they have any ideas for new flavors or items. Churn & Spoon also sells a small selection of shirts and other fun items.

Both eateries are currently hiring. For Frios, you can contact George Hart at 601-479-4918.

For Churn & Spoon, you can email them a resume at [email protected]. Churn & Spoon is located in the same building as Strange Bew coffeehouse. 

While neither place is as cheap as buying frozen treats from a local grocer, one can still get a decent bang for their buck. One is able to get several sweet treats from each place for less than 20 dollars.

Make sure to ‘pop’ into these places soon for the latest scoop of local flavor.