Library provides equipment to students

Sarah Dutton | The Reflector

MSU Mitchell Memorial Library provides resources to students.

The Mitchell Memorial Library is key for many students to having a successful academic experience at Mississippi State University. The library houses many different departments that offer tools and information that will help students flourish. In particular, the Instructional Media Center is convenient for MSU students in many different aspects.
    Not only is the IMC Center, which is located directly across from the main computer lab in the library,  an advanced computer lab for students to utilize, it also offers an array of services most do not know about. 
 Pattye Archer, the coordinator for the IMC, says all of the computers in the IMC now have the latest software, specific to certain departments.
   “We try to make sure we have what the student needs,” Archer said. “ Even if they have their own laptops but do not have the software on them, they still have a place to come.”
  According to Archer, the center offers gainful printing options that are available for all to use.
  “We have color printers that go up to a size 13”x19,” and in addition to that, we have a wide format printer; so an example of that would be the banners that you see hanging up around campus,” Archer said.
    Archer says that it does not go unnoticed that 3-D printing has become somewhat of a phenomenon lately and proved to be very advantageous to use.
    “Over the past year, we have added five new 3-D printers, as part of a partnership between us, the College of Engineering, and the entrepreneurial center in the College of Business,” Archer said. “We’re all working together to provide those services.”
    In addition to the aid the center provides, there is also equipment available for an easy checkout. 
      Tyra White, sophomore and desk worker at the IMC, said they carry equipment from laptops, camera and video recorders, to projectors and projector screens, accessible with a few easy steps.
    “Students are able to come and check the equipment out for one whole week for only two dollars,” White said.

White said students may come directly into the center or call and reserve the equipment they want to ensure the library has it prepared and ready for them.
    White explained since some students do not have their own laptops and require one for class, there is more of a demand from people coming to utilize their one-week checkout policy for the computers over any of the other equipment.
     White said her job is to assist in whatever ways she can and answer any the students have.
   “The most frequently asked type of question that I receive while at work, is about printing and the cost of printing while there are still a few questions about navigating the different softwares and computer functions,” White said.
    White said she observes more familiar faces than those of new ones who visit the center. 
   “I don’t think that many people notice or pay attention to us because we are kind of hidden, so therefore they do not know what we do and have to offer,” White said. “I would love to see that change.”
     In addition to the printing and equipment service the IMC provides, there are workshops available as well.
   Thomas La Foe, instructional technology specialist, instructs some of the workshops in the IMC.
    La Foe said they get a lot of people working on websites and design portfolios, and he makes sure everyone gets the specific help they need.
   “Students who are towards the end of their coursework and need help in putting together their portfolios, resumes or final video projects, we make sure, depending on the instructor’s area of expertise, are pointed into the right direction,” La Foe said.
     The IMC has tools for everyone and every major. 
      The IMC stays open until 9:45 p.m. through the week, and on the weekends, it is open until 5:45 p.m.