StateDM: Dancing helps fund charitable causes

Originally founded in 1991 at Indiana University, Dance Marathon was made to honor fellow student, Ryan White, who passed away from complications with HIV/AIDS.
Since partnering with Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, Dance Marathon has made its way to over 300 colleges and universities and has raised funds and awareness for more than 170 pediatric hospitals. 
Seven years after its original founding at Indiana University, Dance Marathon made its debut at Mississippi State University in 1998. However, the organization did not continue to be a part of our campus.
Nearly two decades later, the organization was founded again by an ambitious group of students hoping to unite the MSU campus in the fight against childhood cancer. In January 2015, the organization took the name of StateDM. 
Similar to the first Dance Marathon hosted by MSU students, all proceeds raised prior to the event and during the Dance Marathon itself, go to the local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital that StateDM supports: LeBonheur Children’s Hospital, located in Memphis, Tennessee. 
Alex White, StateDM’s vice president of finance, said their main goal for this year’s event is growth since they are only a second-year club after being brought back.
“I would love to see more people register for Dance Marathon and start spreading the word about what we are doing and why we are dancing,” White said.
This year, Dance Marathon will be held in the Colvard Student Union for the first time instead of the previous year’s event at Newell-Grissom, meaning more space for new games, ceremonies and entertainment.
In comparison to last year’s Dance Marathon, Abbey Huguley, vice president of logistics, said she plans for this year to surpass all expectations. 
“I believe the most effective way to do this is to make sure everyone on campus and in the Starkville area knows how they can contribute,” Huguley said.
According to Alex White, junior finance major, getting involved in Dance Marathon is something every student can do.
“Whether it’s being a committee member, being a dancer, donating, attending fundraising events, or just spreading the word, every little thing helps,” White said. “It really impacts all of the kids at the hospital.”
Exceeding the original $25,000 goal by more than $10,000, Huguley said StateDM hopes to reach the fundraising goal of $50,000 for the upcoming Dance Marathon. 
Fundraising events leading up to the day of the event include Kones for Kids, Jammin’ in Jammies, a benefit night at McAlister’s and another benefit night coming to Dave’s Dark Horse Tavern on Nov. 8. 
Other fundraising events will be planned each month until the Dance Marathon on Feb. 3. 
For more information about specific events or what is next for StateDM, follow @state_dm on Twitter and Instagram.
If interested in participating, registration is still open on the StateDM website (stated.weebly.com).  Acost of $20 covers an invaluable night entirely devoted to the kids of Le Bonheur’s Children Hospital.