HCDC TO START PLANNING INTERNATIONAL FIESTA

Beth Newman Wynn
Mississippi State University has a large population of international students, and much focus is placed on supporting study abroad programs and working with ‘sister schools’ in other countries to provide students with as many opportunities to broaden their horizons.

The Holmes Cultural Diversity Center is pairing with the World’s Neighbors Association to host “The International Fiesta,” an event to help showcase international organizations on Mississippi State University’s campus. 
   The event is still in its last stages of planning and the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center is looking for organizations who would be interested in participating this year. There will an intersession for any group interested on Feb. 25 at 5:30 p.m. in Hilbun Hall, room 216. Applications for table reservations, as well as entertainment, food and booth competitions will be available. The event will provide information on what each group can expect of the event and how they can be best represented. 
  The International Fiesta will be held on April 2 from 10-2 p.m. on the Drill Field and will include displays, authentic music, cuisine, dance and other cultural representations from a variety of countries. There will also be the Parade of Flags.
  The World’s Neighbors Association’s webside said it is an organization that focuses on “training and educating communities to find lasting solutions to challenges they face- hunger, poverty and disease,” and wants to help spread awareness and knowledge to a wide audience.
The Holmes Cultural Diversity Center is located on the second floor of the Colvard Student Union and HCDC’s webpage said their purpose is to promote and encourage the “positive image that all cultures contribute to university life,” working mainly with minority and international students.        The World’s Neighbors Association’ pairing with the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center will help raise awareness for issues happening in other countries and will promote diversity on campus. 
 Ra’Sheda Forbes,  associate director for HCDC, said they are hoping the student body will delve into cultures other than their own.
  “This is a great learning opportunity in a fun environment,” Forbes said.
Forbes said each country represented will present their own unique customs and traditions and share them with domestic students to help increase their knowledge about culture and the world. In past years, the event has represented over twenty different countries.
 Rachel Ross, Program Coordinator for HCDC said the goal is to reach all students and expose them to aspects of  many different cultural backgrounds found on State’s campus.
“Through different performances and different foods, we hope to show the student body and local community the beauty of different cultures and people,” Ross said. 
   Forbes said there is also an array of other events HCDC puts on. They are hosting an upcoming event, “Speak Like A Girl,” on March 28 at 5:30 p.m. in the Dawg House located in the Union.    
    “Speak Like A Girl,” will include a poetry duo giving performances geared toward the discussion and awareness of women’s issues in today’s society and will provide an interesting way to speak about a controversial topic. The Diversity Center is also representing “Unity Month” in April.More events should be announced in upcoming weeks. 
   The International Fiesta will be a unique opportunity for all students on campus to become more aware and knowledgeable about cultures outside of what they experience on a daily basis and will allow students to immerse themselves, if only for a small amount of time, in the many cultures of the world. For more information, contact the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center by stopping by their office in Union Suite 220 or calling (662) 325-2033.