MS natives compete in American Idol

MS native Trent Harmon sings diverse genres of songs during the 15th and final season of American Idol. 
Randi- Kathryn Harmon | Courtesy Photograph

Mississippi native Trent Harmon is a contestant on the 15th and final season of  ‘American Idol’, which is on FOX Wednesdays and Thursdays at 7 p.m.

Trent’s sister, Randi-Kathryn Harmon, who is a Mississippi State University student and former Miss MSU, said Trent has always wanted to be a singer, and he has known his whole life he wanted to do something with music.

“He started singing when he was two,” Harmon said. “Our mother inspired us both to sing. We grew up singing in church and other locations.”

Trent is a graduate of University of Arkansas at Monticello. His sister said his friends in Arkansas pushed him to audition at the American Idol auditions in Little Rock, Arkansas.

“Our parents didn’t even know he was auditioning. He just did it on a whim to see where the Lord leads him,” Harmon said.

Harmon said Trent’s musical style is very versatile.

“He usually performs R&B and soulful music, a lot like Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith, but last week he sang a country song. He can really do anything,” Harmon said.

Harmon said their hometown has been very supportive of Trent while he has been a contestant on American Idol.

“We own a restaurant in Amory. It’s the Longhorn Fish and Steak House. Trent has done several concerts several times and it has been a packed house each time,” Harmon said.

Other communities in northeast Mississippi have been very supportive of Trent, and a pep rally was held recently in Tupelo for him.

Harmon said his family and the rest of “Team Trent” are trying to spread his fan base throughout the rest of the state.

“We don’t know a lot of people down south or in the Starkville and Jackson areas, so we’re trying to spread support for him throughout the state,” Harmon said.

Harmon said she hopes that although Trent did not go to at Mississippi State University, the Mississippi State community will still support him. “It is very special for someone from our state to do something big,” she said.

Harmon said Trent is unsure of his plans after American Idol, but is living life to the fullest on the show while he can.

“He’s just taking it all in and living life to the fullest right now. He’s in Los Angeles, and American Idol has him very busy right now,” Harmon said.

Voting on American Idol began this week, and there are several ways viewers can vote for their favorite contestants. Viewers can vote by calling toll free or texting the number given on the show, using the FOXNow app, signing into a Google account and searching “American Idol vote” on Google, or on the American Idol website, www.americanidol.com.

La’Porsha Renae from McComb, Mississippi is also competing in the top 14 of the show.

Follow Trent Harmon on Facebook at Trent Harmon Music and on Twitter and Instagram @TrentHarmonMusic.