929 hosts local artists and musicians at ‘Mississippi Made’

Kaitlin O’Dougherty| The Reflector

929 Coffee Bar will hold ‘Mississippi Made’ at 5 p.m. this Saturday. The event hosts work by local artists and musicians.

This Saturday at 5 p.m., 929 Coffee Bar is hosting “Mississippi Made”—an event that showcases local artists and musicians. The event features artists from the Golden Triangle community who will set up tables  around the coffee shop to sell their wares and display art produced in the Starkville area.  

929’s last Mississippi Made, which took place in the fall, drew a large crowd with Happy Hour deals, live music and a diverse group of local artists. Jacob Nelson, a 929 barista and Mississippi State University senior, said he always enjoys the artists’ showcases.

“I’ve never worked here during Mississippi Made, because I always take off so I can go to it,” Nelson said. “It’s that fun.”

Paisley Hamilton, a local jewelry and clothing designer, is also excited for Mississippi Made and the energy it helps generate within the artistic community. 

“We are truly blessed to have a local business that believes in the power of the handmade,” Hamilton said. “I feel that this local support is imperative for our art community to thrive and flourish.”

This Saturday  is Hamilton’s fifth Mississippi Made and the peace warrior/earth child is eager to showcase her recent designs.

“I will be bringing love, positive light and handmade wares,” Hamilton said. “I have been focusing on dyed and printed textiles and apparel for the spring season. I have a new skirt design and some Earth-inspired pieces that I am really excited to share.” 

Joe MacGown, a surrealist artist and entomological scientific illustrator, is looking forward to partaking in the event with his son. 

“My son is an art major at MSU and wants to start exhibiting locally, so we’re doing this together,” MacGown said.  The two will sell postcards and prints of their work. 

The Facebook-declared “trippy art dude,” whose work has been featured in galleries from Starkville to France, appreciates Mississippi Made because it brings awareness to Starkville’s art scene. 

“I like Mississippi Made because it gives artists a chance to show the community what they’ve been working on,” MacGown said. “It’s good to have local businesses and local artists supporting each other.”