Board considers new law for dogs

The Oktibbeha County Board of Supervisors held a public hearing at the courthouse on Tuesday to discuss a proposed county wide vicious animal ordinance law.
Board President Marvell Howard said the main purpose of the hearing was to listen to citizens’ feedback in regards to the rough draft of the ordinance. All residents who attended the meeting were given a copy of the rough draft and encouraged to comment on the growing problem of vicious dogs in the area.
“This version (of the ordinance) actually allows for quite a lot of input from the citizens,” Howard said. “We want to create a document that offers protection to the citizens.”
The biggest problem with passing an ordinance pertaining to vicious animals is the question of how one goes about determining that a dog is vicious, Howard said.
Section one of the ordinance declares any dog that approaches any person in a violent manner while unprovoked or with a “known propensity” to attack is considered vicious. Additionally, any dog that has bitten or injured a human being, another dog or livestock is automatically ruled vicious.
Carl Clardy, supervisor of district 1, said if any dog comes on a property owner’s property, police allow the property owner to do whatever is necessary for protection of that property.
“The state says an animal has one free bite,” Howard said. “That’s state law, whether you agree with it or not … An animal cannot be classified as vicious until certain things happen, and we’re trying to classify on a local level what vicious is to protect citizens.”
Several residents in attendance cited their concern for their safety as well as the safety of their families or livestock as a reason for the need of a strong law. During the meeting, it was suggested by citizens the county enact either a nuisance law or a leash law to lower the number of vicious animals in Starkville and outside the city limits.
Daniel Jackson, supervisor of district 4, said with a nuisance law, the violations would most likely be punished with a warning, followed by a fine. Violations would have to be specifically defined, but any animal that repeatedly trespassed or acted aggressively could fall under that category. A nuisance law would essentially work to prevent a vicious dog from attacking, he said.
A leash law is a larger issue and much more controversial than a nuisance ordinance, Jackson added.
Howard discouraged the idea of a breed-specific ban when suggestions were made of banning pit bull terrier types. He said not all pit bull terriers or similar breeds are vicious, and if a ban is placed on one breed, other breeds would follow. He suggested a registration process for certain breeds.
“We could require any individual that owned a pit bull terrier type to register with the Oktibbeha County Sheriff’s Department,” Howard said. “If you own a pit bull terrier type and do not register, then you will be fined. Any responsible pet owner that loves their pet wouldn’t mind registering their animal free of charge.”
Keelay Guzman, junior communication major, said an animal ordinance law passed in Oktibbeha County would greatly affect her since she owns a dog that would be classified as vicious.
“For me to get rid of him is like losing a member of my family,” Guzman said. “He is more than a pet to me.”
Guzman said she has experienced problems in Attala County with neighbor complaints of a vicious dog loose in the neighborhood. Animal control impounded her dog only because he was classified as a vicious dog.
“If a person allows their animal to fight and act violently then I feel there should be laws to protect people from them, but not all people raise there pets that way,” Guzman said. “I feel that these ordinances will cause major problems for the people who are caring towards their ‘vicious’ pets and raise them responsibly.”