MSU keeps student safety first

The number of assaults in Starkville is on the rise.  Two women were attacked near campus in the past week.  After last Monday’s assault and this Sunday’s robbery, how can students continue to feel safe? 
Thomas Bourgeois, dean of students, said students need to be aware of potential dangers and not take their safety for granted.
“There’s a feeling of invincibility partnered with the fact we’re a very safe campus and community, but we’re not immune to crime,” he said. “As our population grows, those things are becoming more readily apparent.”
Bourgeois said even though student safety takes number one priority at Mississippi State University, students still must be vigilant.
“We’re one of the safest campuses in the country, but we’re also an open environment,” Bourgeois said. “Crime is drawn to a highly populated area, so we still strongly encourage students to be careful.”
Bourgeois said the best way to escape an assault is through preventative planning.
“You shouldn’t go places by yourself at night,” Bourgeois said.  “Let your roommates know when you’re leaving, where you’re going and when you’re going back.”
MSU’s campus also offers a variety of resources to help students feel more confident getting around campus in ominous circumstances. Bully Patrol is one of the many options available to students.
MSU Chief of Police Georgia Lindley advocates Bully Patrol as a great way to plan ahead.
“Bully Patrol is made up of our student employees that work at night,” Lindley said.  “We put them out around residence halls, buildings and anywhere students might need an escort to their car or another building.”
To get a Bully Patrol escort, students can simply call the MSU Police Department at 325-2121.  The escorts wear reflective vests and carry two-way radios.  They are available to assist students from dark until early morning.
Another great way for women to be prepared against attack is by attending the Knock Out Sexual Assault Prevention Workshop. The workshop can benefit women beyond the reaches of campus.  The purpose of the course is not to defend women, but to teach them self-defense, a skill they can use the rest of their lives.
The class will be held Oct. 10 in the McCarthy Gymnasium from 6 to 9 p.m.  It is an introduction to Rape Aggression Defense.  The course is free to attend, and participants can purchase T-shirts for $10.
Even with the best preventative measures, an attack can still occur.  Anyone who has been assaulted should immediately report the attack to the MSU Police Department or the Starkville Police Department.
Lindley said the MSU police will do everything they can to help.
“We have a very active and successful detective division,” Lindley said.  “Anything reported, we follow up on, and any tool that could make us successful, we will use.”
For those who have experienced sexual assault, the Sexual Assault Services on campus work to provide help. SAS is an on-campus organization that provides outreach services, programming and preventative information about assault to students.
SAS Director Beatrice Tatem said from her experience, it is a very cathartic experience for a student who has been assaulted to be able to talk to someone.
“It’s helpful for them to release it without having to walk around with it in their head and heart,” Tatem said. “They can process what happened, how they can move on from that situation, and go on to live healthy and happy lives.”
The services offered at MSU are for the benefit and safety of the students.