Big K.R.I.T. performs in Starkville on Wednesday

Editor’s Note: Big K.R.I.T. communicated with Reflector News Editor Micah Green to discuss his upcoming CD release show via email. This is that interview in question and answer format.

Being born in Meridian is about the only normal thing on his resume. His 2010 effort K.R.I.T. Wuz Here caught the ear of Def Jam Records: the record company titans immediately signed him. Then, Spin named him one of “The Next Big Things” of 2011. On top of that, he was featured as one of XXL’s Top 11 Freshmen of 2011. His first project of 2011, Returnof4eva, only added to his snowballing hype. Tomorrow night at State Theatre, Big K.R.I.T. returns to Starkville with equally hot newcomer, Yelawolf, for a show to celebrate the release of K.R.I.T.’s studio debut, Live From the Underground. We caught up with him to ask him how the tour was going, what he thinks about Starkville and the future of K.R.I.T. Walk with us.

Q: What has your schedule been like the last few months?
A: Man, extremely busy. Lots of things to do as far as working on the album, traveling to different cities for shows, a few TV appearances, etcetera. It’s been really hectic. I feel blessed though, because I could easily not be doing any of this stuff.
Q: How is the tour going? Have you enjoyed working with Yelawolf? Has anything about this tour been different than others?
A: The tour has been great. Being able to perform in places and in front of people I never thought I’d be able to go or see is a blessing. It’s hard work, but it’s work worth doing, you know? Working with Yela is great. It’s dope because that’s the homie in real life. It’s always a pleasure to work with friends you respect.
Q: Life on the road has to be tough. How are you taking it?
A: I’m taking it all in stride, man. I’m just happy that enough people are enjoying the music enough to want to see me perform it in their cities or towns.
Q: You’ve been in Starkville before. What was your impression of Starkville? How do you think the show went last time? Are you excited to be back?
A: Starkville seems like a cool, laid-back town. When I was here last time, the show was really live. The homie Cajoleas had everything set up right. I’m definitely anticipating being back there.
Q: Is it different playing here in Mississippi than anywhere else in the country for you? Do you get more love here than other places?
A: It’s always nice to play in your home state and see family, friends and people you might have grown up with at your shows out in the crowd rapping along with you and showing love.
Q: Being from the ‘Sip, the comparisons to David Banner seem inevitable. You’ve had him featured and referenced him in more than one song, so are you guys close? How do you handle these comparisons?
A: Banner is like a big brother to me, someone I’d definitely consider a mentor and friend past, the rap industry. He’s definitely someone I look to if I have questions about the industry or just life in general.
Q: What is your view on music in Mississippi? What direction is it going in, and where would you like to see it go?
A: Mississippi has a lot of talent with real potential to do great things. Artists like Big Sant, Miz Smurff, Tha Joker, Tito Lopez, Donnie Cross, Boo Rossini from CTE and more all are doing their part to keep Mississippi music going strong.
Q: If you had a mission statement, what would you say it was?
A: Believe in God.
Q: You do everything in house, right? Beats/production/lyrics? That’s a rare thing these days. Is that autonomy important to you? Does it give you an advantage at all?
A: I wouldn’t necessarily say I have an advantage over any other artist but it does give me the opportunity to get my music exactly the way I want to present to the world.
Q: Return of 4eva is hands down one of the best mixtapes of 2011. You got this new album coming out now. What is different about this new project and “Return?”
A: Return of 4eva was a continuation of K.R.I.T. Wuz Here and my major label debut album Live From The Underground is going to be a continuation and maturation of Return of 4eva. Lots more live instrumentation, and I’m tackling some heavier subject matter. We still gonna party on the album too, though. Gotta have that balance.
Q: In five years K.R.I.T. will be…?
A: Hopefully still making quality music.

To get tickets to tomorrow’s show visit lostlegendent.com.