Board of Aldermen discuss issues affecting MSU students

Two issues involving Mississippi State University and its students were discussed at Tuesday night’s Board of Aldermen meeting.
Daniel Waide, State Theatre’s local manager, was present at the meeting to request a supporting resolution from the city on State Theatre’s application to extend hours of operation under its existing resort status. 
The building that houses State Theatre was granted resort status in 1994 when it was the State House Hotel.
This allowed the hotel’s bar to serve alcohol despite being in close proximity to a religious establishment.
David Mollendor, proprietor of Hotel Chester, was also in attendance to oppose the request from State Theatre. 
Hotel Chester is the establishment directly east of State Theatre. It was also once a part of the State House Hotel.
Mollendor said Hotel Chester already had problems with the amount of disruption caused by State Theatre’s customers and feels as though extending the hours would exacerbate this.
Waide cited a study done in Ontario, Canada, about the safety of extending bar hours. The study talks about the Power Drinking Theory. 
“Power drinking is what happens when there’s only 10 minutes until closing,” said Waide. “Customers are likely to order several beers at once because they know it is almost closing time. This results in a higher level of inebriation when they leave the establishment.”
The study found that customers are less likely to power drink when bars have extended hours, resulting in less of a safety hazard for themselves and other citizens at closing time.
Roy Perkins, Ward 6 alderman, said State Theatre already had plenty of hours for the sale and consumption of alcohol. 
The extended hours would allow State Theatre to continue alcohol sales on Friday nights until 3 a.m. on Saturday and on Saturday nights until 3 a.m. on Sunday.
“The law requires similar businesses to be treated similarly,” said Perkins. This would mean the city would be required to support other local bars in applying for extended hours if they supported State Theatre.
No decisions were made on the issue.
Additionally at the Tuesday night meeting, Morgan McDowell from the MSU Student Association was present to request a fee waiver for local businesses that wanted to participate in the Homecoming banner contest.
The fee waiver would cover the $15 fee associated with receiving a banner permit from the city of Starkville.
McDowell felt as though having the fee waived would result in more businesses participating.
Richard Corey, Ward 4 alderman, made a motion to approve the fee waiver for SA. The motion passed in a 5-2 vote.