D-line leads MSU to win over Kentucky

In a pivotal SEC showdown in which neither team had previously won a conference game in the 2011 season, the Mississippi State Bulldogs rose to the task Saturday night in Lexington, defeating the Kentucky Wildcats 28-16.
MSU (4-4, 1-4) was anchored for most of the night by its defensive line, namely junior defensive tackles Fletcher Cox and Josh Boyd, who both seemed to be in UK’s backfield for most of the game. Cox, named the SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week in State’s previous two outings, once again showed why many think he will be an All-SEC selection at the end of season, racking up seven tackles, three and a half tackles for loss, and two sacks, one of which forced Kentucky quarterback Morgan Newton to leave the game with a right shoulder and ankle injury. The junior once again earned Defensive Lineman of the Week honors after the Kentucky game, giving him three in a row.
Cox’s fellow defensive tackle Josh Boyd also turned in a dominant performance, recording two tackles for loss, a sack and numerous takedowns of Newton and his replacement Maxwell Smith.
Boyd said coming into the matchup with Kentucky, he knew the play of State’s defensive line would dictate the Bulldogs’ success.
“(Coach Mullen) basically put it on our shoulders to control the line of scrimmage,” Boyd said.
MSU defensive end Sean Ferguson also contributed to the defensive line dominance with six tackles, a season-high for the senior.  State’s defensive line has been vital to MSU allowing only 33 points in its last three outings, its lowest three-game stretch in over a decade.
After the game, MSU head coach Dan Mullen said he liked how State played against the Wildcats.
“I’m proud of the way our guys played tonight,” Mullen said. “I’m really proud of how our guys battled throughout the game.”
Besides the notable defensive line dominance, MSU’s quarterbacks also shined Saturday night. Sophomore Tyler Russell, who started the game for the Bulldogs, was 9-12 passing for 172 yards and added a 13-yard touchdown strike to freshman tight end Malcolm Johnson in the third quarter. Senior Chris Relf, who rotated in on numerous offensive series and in goal-line situations, went 6-9 for 92 yards and a touchdown with an interception. He added 13 yards rushing and a career-high two touchdowns on the ground. The quarterbacks helped MSU mount three offensive scoring drives of 80 yards or more, and State’s 7.5 yards per play is the highest average since the Bulldogs’ 59-14 win against Memphis in the first game of the season.
This was the first time State rotated quarterbacks to the extent that it did, and Mullen said that decision was made during the plane ride to Lexington on Friday.
“They both had a great week of practice last week,” Mullen said. “I honestly looked at the grades on the plane yesterday and said, ‘Tyler (Russell), you’re going to go the first series, Chris (Relf), you’re going to go the second series, and we’ll keep going back and forth. Overall, I thought they both played well.”
Echoing what Mullen said, Tyler Russell said it does not really matter who is the number-one quarterback for the Dogs, because both he and Relf are always prepared.
“A lot of people try and make a big deal out of it, but whoever the coach calls will be ready,” Russell said.