Coming from a small town … and making a big impact

Mississippi State junior starting cornerback Johnthan Banks is many things, but boring isn’t one of them. From his big-play ability on the field to his down-home humility and sharp wit off the field, Banks is rapidly becoming one of the more beloved Bulldogs of recent years.
Banks burst onto the scene his freshman year when, while playing safety against Florida, he intercepted Heisman Trophy and national championship-winning quarterback Tim Tebow on two separate occasions. By the way, he also returned both of the interceptions for touchdowns. For an unheralded recruit from East Webster High School in tiny Maben, Miss., this was not expected to happen so early in Banks’s career. After all, not only was Mississippi State the only school to offer him a football scholarship, but he considered leaving MSU early in his freshman year.
“My freshman year Coach Mullen came in and made a statement about what this program was going to be,” Banks said. “I came from a little 1A high school and had never really worked like that. Coach Mullen and Coach Balis pushed us hard and to our limit. I almost packed it up and left. Coach Mullen wasn’t going to let me leave, but I was just a baby on campus. I’m just happy I stuck with it.”
Senior safety and team captain Charles Mitchell laughs at the notion Banks was actually going to quit.
“Banks wasn’t going to quit. He was just talking because Coach Smith made him mad one day,” Mitchell said. “I told him, ‘It is football,; you’re going to get yelled at.’ Coach Smith gave him a reality check, and it looked like it helped to me.”
Did it ever.
Banks is currently tied for second in the nation with five interceptions, and he is also tied for second in the nation for total passes defended with 13. Statistically speaking, Banks is one of the best cornerbacks in the country, but fans would never know it from talking to him.
“I’m just out there having fun and playing football,” Banks said. “That’s what I love to do. I’m not worried about being All-American or All-SEC. I’m out here trying to make plays and help Mississippi State be the best Mississippi State can be.”
If there is one statistic Banks will admit to caring about, it is the career interception record at MSU. Currently with 12 career interceptions, Banks is on pace to possibly break Walt Harris’s record of 16 career picks. Banks is very aware of this.
“I think I’m like second or third,” Banks said. “I’m not going to lie; I want to break the record this year. I do pay attention to that.”
When he is not harassing the opposing team’s wide receivers, Banks can often be found riding one of his horses. He is well-known as a “good ole boy,” and Banks doesn’t shy away from his small-town background. Naturally, he is pretty good at riding horses, as well.
“His name is Dakota,” Banks said of his favorite horse. “I started taking him to shows a few years ago, just little country shows in your back yard. Can’t anybody stop him; he is unstoppable. He is like Secretariat.”
If the Secretariat reference is humorous, well, it should be. Banks prides himself on his ability to make teammates and others laugh, and he proudly boasts that he probably jokes more than anyone else on the team (While this interview was being conducted, he made a joke about Mitchell’s head.)  However, not only is Banks a talented athlete (he was also an outstanding basketball and baseball player in high school), comedian and horseback rider, he also has another unique interest — law enforcement.
Banks is fascinated by highway patrolmen, and his reasoning for being so is, well, humorous. When asked what he would have done had he left MSU his freshman year, Banks quickly replied he would have become a highway patrolman. Why would he choose that particular field? Oh, maybe because it seems leisurely.
“I’m not going to say I want to be lazy, but most all they do is ride around cars,” Banks said. “I just want to make the world a better place.”
Between the victories at horse shows, game-changing interceptions and practical jokes pulled on teammates, one has to wonder if there is anything Banks is not good at. According to him, there is one thing he needs to work on.
Punt returns.
“That was one of my specialties in high school, but it hasn’t worked out very well,” Banks said laughingly.
If becoming a better punt returner is one of the few areas he really needs to improve upon, it is safe to say things are going pretty well for Johnthan Banks.