Soccer upsets No. 11 Florida, moves into position for SEC Tournament

Missisisppi State women’s soccer coach Neil Macdonald understands the importance of an early goal, but there’s no way he could have expected his team to score 38 seconds into the game against No. 11 Florida on Sunday.

Sophomore Elisabeth Sullivan’s early goal was the difference as MSU (5-8-1, 2-5-1 SEC) defeated its second top-20 opponent in three weeks, beating the Gators 1-0.

For Sullivan and the Bulldogs, the goal gave the team confidence to play its syle of play in a high-pressure contest against a top-15 opponent.

“We were all really nervous, but we knew we just had to come out and do what we can do,” Sullivan said. “Scoring that early goal always helps us calm down. Just knowing we’re a goal ahead and we have to keep that goal.”

After Sullivan’s goal, it was up to the defense to maintain the lead, a task junior goalie Skylar Rosson was more than ready for.

Rosson came up with 13 saves  and, along with the Bulldog back line, thwarted off many Gator attacks. Rosson’s performance was enough to earn her SEC Defensive Player of the Week honors.

Macdonald described Rosson as playing “possessed,” but Rosson was quick to give credit to her defenders.

“I definitely felt like we had a lot of pressure this game,” Rosson said. “Really, the back line did awesome. They saved me a lot, just staying together and talking.”

Rosson is now over 100 saves for the season, and with seven career shutouts, is tied for third in MSU history.

The Bulldogs were on the losing end of a 1-0 contest Friday night, falling to South Carolina. The weekend split leaves MSU tied for eighth in the conference standings with Alabama.

Only the top eight teams will advance to the SEC Tournament, something Macdonald has set as a team goal.

“The confidence that we can take from (the win) and move on in the next three games is huge,” Macdonald said. “We’ve got to fight towards the goal. Our goal is to make the tournament, and I feel like we can do that.”

The Bulldogs’ three remaining games are a home contest against Kentucky Friday and a road trip to Vanderbilt Sunday, followed by the regular-season finale next Friday against Ole Miss in Oxford, which will be broadcast on Fox Sports South.