Learning Center offers free tutoring, more services

The Learning Center, located on the second floor of Allen Hall, is a place where students and teachers can find free and useful support for classes. TLC offers free tutoring, a PC computer lab and Mac lab, equipment checkout and several services and programs.
Many of the major subjects are covered by free student tutors Monday through Friday in Allen 266. A full session schedule can be found on the TLC website at tlc.msstate.edu/services/tutoring. If the class is not offered, a student can fill out an online “request for tutor” form. When enough students ask for a subject, a tutor is found as soon as possible to fulfill the need. For those interested in a paid tutoring job, the online application can be found on the website.
To receive free tutoring, a student can go to TLC and fill out his or her basic information for record. After that, it is as simple as bringing class work or assignments to the tutoring session.
Candace Barnette, a communication major who tutors in English, sociology and French at TLC, said TLC has a lot of great resources.
“There are tutors in a variety of subjects and a computer lab students can have access to,” Barnette said. “People would pay money for good tutoring, but a lot of students don’t realize you can receive it here for free.”
First-time TLC visitor Justin Conway, a broadcast meteorology major, went to the tutoring room for help with calculus. Conway said he would suggest TLC tutoring to new students and friends who are struggling in classes.
“If someone’s struggling, go to the Learning Center,” said Conway. “I mean, it’s free. You can’t be scared. Part of the problem is admitting that you’re struggling.”
Anna Dill, director of TLC since Jan. 2003, said TLC is improving the way it can help students.
“We have tutoring every afternoon. Really, everyday now, we are increasing those services. It used to be in the afternoon only Monday through Thursday,” said Dill. “There is a link on our webpage where a student can actually put in a quick request for a tutor in a certain subject area or course and we can respond by email and let them know if we have that available. If we have enough students asking for a particular course, like chemistry, then we focus right away on finding chemistry tutors. We’ve improved and increased the number of tutors we have significantly, I would say, this semester … That service alone is free and hopefully that will help students when they get into a class and they feel like they need some help.”
Dill said TLC is here to help and would like to know if there are areas it can further help students and meet their needs. Contact [email protected] with suggestions.
One of the programs TLC offers is the Individualized Study Skills Sessions which helps assess and aid students by providing three one-hour sessions of (usually) one-on-one assistance with an advisor. TLC also makes appointments to help with the PRAXIS.
TLC gives presentations across campus on topics like “test taking strategies,” “study skills” or “time management” and will accept requests for presentations on the webpage.
The Promise Support Program  financially awards incoming freshmen with a 3.0 GPA or higher and transfer students with a 2.5 GPA or higher.
“The Mississippi State Promise Award is designed to help fulfill MSU’s traditional role as The People’s University through tuition assistance and other opportunities to entering freshmen and community college transfers from low-income families,” according to the TLC webpage. “The Promise award ‘bridges the gap’ between the cost of tuition minus all other gift aid for the fall and spring semesters.”
More info on the award can be reached at sfa.msstate.edu/promise.
Laura Moran, coordinating instructor of the Learning Skills Support Program, said college is all about getting an education.
“There are on-campus organizations, there is football and basketball and all the games and everything to go to, and I encourage students to get involved in those, but I also tell them to be aware of how much time they’re spending on that because, unfortunately, a lot of students lose sight of why they are here. It’s first and foremost to get an education,” said Moran.
Normally, when a student is academically suspended he or she is required to sit out a semester before he or she can return to take classes. The LSSP was designed by TLC and the provost to allow the suspended student to enroll for no more than 12 to 14 hours instead of having to lose a semester of classes as long as the student follows LSSP guidelines.
Visit the Learning Center website for the full range of services and programs offered.
Editor’s note: Candace Barnette is a staff writer at The Reflector.