The Jason Turner band

The Jason Turner Band, a local country/rock band with an alternative vibe, won the C Spire Wireless 2011 Bulldog Bash contest and will open this Friday for Jake Owen and The Avett Brothers according to Rhett Hobart, Student Association president.
 The band’s new album, 13 years, released in August, is generally an upbeat and lyrically stirring set of songs. Accompanying the overall country feel to many of the songs are a mixture of musical influences. Fans of rock and pop will clap to the beat of “Tonight,” or the more rock-oriented song, “Another Like You.” Others will appreciate the blues/rock feel of “Haunt Me,” which is reminiscent of The Rolling Stones’ “Wild Horses.” The band consists of Jason Turner on guitar and vocals, Adam Perry on bass, Matt Newman playing drums and Jay Wadsworth playing pedal steel and guitar.
Hobart said last year’s Bulldog Bash show brought in 35,000 people, a number this year he hopes will be beaten.
“We’re all excited about it,” he said. “We think it’s going to be a great event. We think it’s going to be our largest event in history … It’s the largest free outdoor concert in Mississippi already, and we think it will get larger. We are expecting it to surpass the 35,000 from last year. We’ve taken a lot of measures into account to make sure it’s a great experience with an increased crowd.”
This year, said Hobart, there will be a 30′ by 20′ LED video screen next to the stage for those farther from the band to see.
“I think it’s going to be a great atmosphere in the Cotton District. A great way to kick off the University of Alabama football game weekend, the True Maroon weekend,” he said.