The Avett Brothers

Until the reign of the Avett Brothers, North Carolina never sounded so good. Ranging in repertoire from folk-bluegrass to honky tonk-rock ‘n’ roll, the Avett Brothers bring to the stage a blend of vocal harmonies and keen acoustic rolls throughout its multi-album legend. Compared at times to artists such as Townes Van Zandt and even Buddy Holly (San Francisco Chronicle), the band is comprised of brothers Scott and Seth Avett — who both play banjo and guitar — along with Bob Crawford on stand-up bass. Joe Kwon and Jacob Edwards also frequent tours with the Brothers and rock cello and drums, respectively.
I first saw the Brothers play at Double Decker 2008 in Oxford, and I immediately recognized a band I was sure to follow for years to come. Songs like “When I Drink” and “If It’s the Beaches” still linger in my mind years after this first informal introduction to the band on the crowded streets around the Square. My first thought — “Who is the long-haired Asian jamming that cello?!” (discovered later as Kwon) — quickly led to a love affair from afar as the band scaled through tune after tune, ever increasing my affinity for all things Avett.
Memphis in May 2011 was my most recent tryst with the band and promised performances of crowd pleasin’ “Shame” and “I and Love and You,” as well as my personal favorite, “Paranoia in B-Flat Major” (how do they get their voices that high?) Despite the rain and perpetual mud fields consequential of havoc-rendering tornados that went through Memphis during the concert this past May, the band performance was stoic and truly memorable to this lifelong fan. The constant threat of the overflowing Mississippi River only heightened the band’s cosmic atmosphere and brought the fans closer to the crowded main stage.
Each performance by the Avett Brothers proves yet another layer of magic and melodies, often followed by heart-aching shoutouts made by the band to audience members. I am most certain Seth Avett was speaking directly to me during the Double Decker tour event when he said, “Yes, we love you, too. And we always will. Thanks for sharing your magic with us.” And, yes, this was remarked after a rather loud “I love you, bros!” made by yours truly only moments before.

The Avett Brothers will join the concert included in Bulldog Bash weekend tonight on the Clark Beverage Group Main Stage from 10:15 to 11:45 p.m. More information can be found at msubulldogbash.org.theatre.