Future is bright, present less dim for Cohen’s dawgs

Mississippi State used a five-run eighth inning on Sunday to come from behind and defeat the No. 2 Vanderbilt Commodores 9-8 in Nashville, Tenn., after losing both the Friday and Saturday games.
MSU is a young team, and although SEC clubs must always expect to win, realistically, the Bulldogs have to feel good about getting even one from the ‘Dores. Considering the Bulldogs were blanked 10-0 and 4-0 in the first two contests of the weekend, the 11 hits and nine runs would have been somewhat encouraging even in a loss.
The rally serves as a huge confidence boost for the Bulldogs coming into an off week. With a big home series against No. 24 Auburn coming up this weekend, the win makes practice more upbeat and conducive to learning. I personally think the win pays dividends beyond just one W in the SEC win column.
While the win is a good start, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. The series against Auburn will be more of a measuring stick because Auburn is closer to MSU’s equal, so MSU should have a chance to show some consistency.
The fact the Bulldogs could go for a total of seven hits combined on Friday and Saturday and then blow up for 11 on Sunday is a little alarming. While every team MSU faces is not going to have pitchers quite the caliber of Vandy’s, thi is the SEC, and every team fields a quality product. A performance closer to Sunday than Friday and Saturday will be required for MSU to have prolonged success. For a little perspective, SEC baseball is arguably tougher than SEC football.
On the other hand, the entire season backs up the positives of the Sunday win and shows the first two contests to be out of the norm. MSU has improved drastically in several statistical categories and has an RPI of 33. Fielding percentage is up to .977 from .959, and MSU is on track to commit less than half the errors than last year, even with a five error outing against Vandy Friday. MSU has the SEC’s leading base stealer in Nick Vickerson’s 17 stolen bases. Team ERA has been more than cut in half from 6.87 to 3.32, and opponents’ statistics are down in every category.
Another huge positive of the win Sunday is the personnel that came through. Not to belittle what any upperclassmen did — especially Jarrod Parks who is playing stellar baseball and went 3-4 Sunday with a home run — but it was extremely encouraging to see four freshmen get hits in pressure situations in the eigth inning.
C.T. Bradford had the game-winning RBI, Taylor Stark had the game-tying RBIs and Daryl Norris and Adam Frazier both had hits. In the inning, Mr. Reliable Jarrod Parks led the Bulldogs off, Ryan Collins and Cody Freeman were walked and Nick Vickerson sacrificed to the center fielder to move Parks and Collins up a bag. Taylor Stark also stepped up and closed the game, only allowing Vanderbilt one baserunner in the last inning.
So, yes, Bulldog fans, there are clear signs of improvement. Maybe it has not come as fast as some have expected because of MSU’s history, but it is here nonetheless and in only Cohen’s third season.
The players look comfortable in Cohen’s aggressive style of play, which is a marked change from the last two seasons. The clutch hits were there Sunday after rarely being there last season.
Also, someone MSU fans may remember, Ron Polk always said the key to getting to Hoover (the SEC tournament and a sure fire regional bid) is by taking one game in every road series and winning two in every home series. Mark one part of that equation off the list.
The team is sure to have a little extra swagger in its steps after the emotional win Friday. I would encourage MSU fans to expand on the confidence by showing up in droves for this young team and prove why Dudy Noble Field can be the toughest place to play.
MSU owns top nine records for largest on-campus crowds in NCAA baseball history, but attendance has been down the last two years. This is somewhat understandable (not really, but there is an argument), but there is no excuse anymore. Cohen has signed elite talent, but they are young, which is another good reason for a big crowd. They need MSU fans’ support, and part of the reason they signed up for MSU baseball is because of the great atmosphere.
The possible difference support can make is not the only reason to show up to The Dude. MSU baseball has a chance to be good again, not necessarily World Series good this season, but Omaha does not seem quite as far as it once did.
MSU baseball belongs on top, and Cohen’s teams are aggressive and exciting. There is no better place to watch a baseball game than on a sunny day in Starkville, so come out and support the Bulldogs and be a part of the great history that is MSU baseball.