Chew on This: spectacular semester starters

Chew on This

Welcome to 2018 and a new semester at Mississippi State University. For some of us, it will be our last semester here; for others, it may be your first semester. Either way, you are going to need to know how to cook.
I have gathered some spectacular recipes which are both easy to make and delicious, making settling in for a new semester much easier.
For those who have yet to gain the “freshman 15,” I can help you out with these easy fiesta beans. After tasting these beans, you will be amazed they can be made in about 10 minutes. This recipe makes enough to feed 12 people, so if you need a last-minute appetizer to take to a group gathering or want to make a quick meal with lots of leftovers before retreating to your room to study for a few hours, this recipe is perfect for you. It is nice to make some comfort food and just keep it in the freezer for rough days.
For those who have already gained the freshman 15 or more and are hoping to drop a few pounds this semester, this easy garlic chicken recipe is a great replacement for greasy fast food. The chicken is flavorful and filling. I like to use boneless, skinless chicken, which is more expensive. You can use wings, thighs or another type of meat if you prefer. Just be careful of how long you choose to cook your meat, as the amount of time needed to cook depends on the size of the pieces being cooked.
Last, but not least, everyone needs snacks. I love making snacks to put in the fridge all week.
These snack wraps can last a good week, and the recipe makes 60 wraps, so they will last for quite a while. I like to have about four for lunch. A few wraps can also make a quick and easy snack between classes.
You can use whatever meat you want. This recipe is just a guideline. I like to do it with honey ham or turkey pastrami.
Hopefully, these recipes will help you get back into the swing of things this semester.
If you want to know where to eat in the area, have recipes you would like to share or ideas for future columns, feel free to contact me at [email protected].