MSU Dining pledges to go green, puts away plastic straws

Each day, Americans use 500 million drinking straws, which, according to the National Parks Service, is enough to fill 125 school buses. Looking to create a greater impact on the environment, Aramark and Mississippi State University Dining Services committed themselves to lessening the use of disposable plastics by 2022.
Aramark Marketing Manager Andrea Pichardo said the initiative is a great way to show students they are intentional about environmental conservation.
“By reducing single-use plastics, like straws, we have the opportunity to make meaningful achievements in minimizing our environmental impact,” Pichardo said.
In an effort to decrease the amount of plastic used, straws were removed from drinking stations in dining halls. For guests who prefer drinking from a straw, they may ask for one from the cashier.
Lea Cornelius, a junior animal and dairy sciences major, said she was surprised when she noticed dining service stopped offering straws.
“I am a person who doesn’t like to necessarily drink from a cup that is not from my home, especially when flu season is approaching,” Cornelius said.
Cornelius said when she learned the lessening of straws was a part of MSU’s effort to protect the environment, she began to look into the possibilities this initiative would bring to wildlife and the ocean.
“Many marine animals typically mistake a small item, such as a straw, as food (and) that leads to death,” Cornelius said. “By using less straws, it will help prevent plastic trash pollution.”
Christine Lashley, MSU Office of Sustainability coordinator, said she expects the amount of waste collected by the university to be impacted by this initiative. Lashley said if straws are not readily available, people may be more likely to use non-disposable cups.
“The green movement is getting more media attention,” Lashley said. “It’s a good time for Aramark to show that they’re also taking a stand for the environment.”
The Office of Sustainability is also promoting other energy-efficient ideas. By 2042, MSU is expected to be carbon neutral. Lashley said they are installing more energy-efficient air conditioners, trying to recycle more and using renewable energy, such as solar.
Lashley also mentioned an Eco Kit Aramark provides separate from a meal plan. The kit is $30 and includes 2 cups for hot and cold drinks with a straw. The kit also includes a reusable clamshell that can be used at dining facilities for to-go meals. A student can bring the dirty clamshell back the next time they eat in the dining hall and receive a clean one.
“I think it’s really great what they’re doing,” Lashley said. “I’m expecting it will bring about an awareness of disposable items.”