The Drowsy Chaperone comes to Starkville Community Theater

Courtesy Photo
The Drowsy Chaperone comes to Starkville Community Theatre

The Starkville Community Theater’s performance of “The Drowsy Chaperone,” directed by Paula Mabry, sold out last weekend and will continue performances today through Thursday.
“The Drowsy Chaperone” has received five Tony Awards and is a musical comedy which attracts both types of people who either love or hate musicals. The Starkville Community Theater has rehearsed for “The Drowsy Chaperone” since the beginning of February and includes six Mississippi State University student in the cast and crew.
Director Paula Mabry said the play has been well-received by the audience and is something she has been proud to produce.
“It has been a crowd pleaser and the audience has come out saying this is the best show we have ever done,” Mabry said.
Mabry said this play includes multiple technological elements new to the theater, but she believes these new programs will help make the performance more professional and well-rounded.
“We were using a program from music theater international that runs off of a computer and simulates a full orchestra,” Mabry said. “This gives the play a more detailed and sophisticated sounds; however, it has been difficult to run exactly with the scenery.”
Rylee Burchfield, MSU sophomore playing the role of gangster one, said being in the play has challenged her.
“The hardest part of my role as a gangster is that I am playing a man, which I am not. I am also having to speak in a Boston accent,” Burchfield said. “I am not usually the best at accents, but I have really pushed myself and practiced so I believe that I was be able to really bring my character to life during the performance.”
Luke Manual, MSU senior playing the role of George, said this play is unique since its plot line is different than many other plays he performed in.
“The play is told within a play within a play style. It is about a man who whenever he is sad he puts on a record of his favorite musical and that musical comes to life in his apartment,” said Manual, Starkville resident. “He draws inspiration from those musicals in making his life decisions. This play is really about this man’s journey than the musical itself.”
Manual said he also feels the humor of the play is something everyone will enjoy, since it is different than the type of humor usually used in musicals.
“It satirizes musical theatre as a whole, so if you are not into musicals you will love it because it makes fun of everything you hate, but if you love musicals, then you will also love how it pokes fun at musicals,” Manual said.
Jenny Fisher, MSU freshmen playing the role of Kitty, said this play is a stand out performance and it allows her the opportunity to learn from seasoned performers.
“I know of a lot of people at MSU who want to participate at the community theater, but have not yet,” Fisher said. “I really encourage every actor to tryout since you get to work with actors who have been working not only in the community, but else where. You get to learn in ways that you aren’t always able to at Theatre MSU.”
Madisen McKenzie, MSU sophomore and stage manager for the production, was the assistant stage manager for “A Christmas Carol” and “Crimes of the Heart” for Theatre MSU, but said this performance is one of her favorites so far, since the play seamlessly incorporates classic musical tropes with an inventive and comedic approach.
McKenzie said despite this being her first time working closely with the Starkville Community Theater, she has felt at home and has learned a great deal.
“I have had a wonderful experience working with the Starkville Community Theatre on this play, and hope to continue working with them more in the future,” said McKenzie, Hattiesburg resident.