Record attendance, Thompson shines, Moorhead‘s first spring football game

Alayna Stevens | The Reflector

Keytaon Thompson, sophomore quarterback from New Orleans, looks to throw the ball. Thompson threw for 300 yards in the spring game.

The sound of cowbells filled the air, welcoming Mississippi State University’s head coach Joe Moorhead into Davis Wade at springtime, as he fulfilled a dream shared by football coaches across the nation.
“I have heard all about the fans, the cowbells and the dog walk,” Moorhead said. “You walk out here to start the morning, and the day is going about a hundred miles and hour. Next thing you blink and it is pregame, and then the game is going. This is something coaches dream about, coaching in the SEC.”
While Moorhead fulfilled a dream, quarterback Keytaon Thompson, a sophomore from New Orleans, started for both the Maroon and White teams. He had found out he would do so the day before the game.
“Never had a situation like that, that was wild going back in forth in the first time,” Thompson said. “I knew, I did not find out till yesterday, and I was like, ‘Oh my god.’ I was drinking lots and lots of water, hoping I was not going to cramp up like I did.”
Thompson threw for 316 yards and one touchdown in the 28-10 game, as the Maroon team won the first spring game under head coach Joe Moorhead. Thompson also threw two interceptions, and said he wished he could have some of his throws back.
“I felt like I did well, I made some plays, and I had a couple of plays I wish I could get back,” Thompson said. “Seeing some new looks and running the new offense I think I did good today. I think the team did really well today. It was a great atmosphere today, and I would like to thank the fans that came out to show their support.”
Kylin Hill, a sophomore running back from Columbus, had a great game as he rushed for 50 yards on nine carries and scored three touchdowns, helping lead the Maroon team to a decisive victory. Hill said the new offense will give players the opportunity to show of their skills.
“It felt good to get the ball in certain situations. I was able to contribute more with my offensive ability,” Hill said. “The new offense allows everyone to utilize their talent more than the offense in the past. The offense now is more explosive and appealing to the younger players.”
The defense also had some players shine as Brian Cole, a junior safety from Saginaw, Michigan, made two tackles and pressured the quarterback. Cole said it was a blessing to get to play in the game, and a lot of trust has been placed in him.
“It is a blessing to be out here with my teammates and get things rolling, I am looking forward to the season,” Cole said. “It is really unexplainable. I felt like they are putting a lot of trust in me to blitz the coverage and a lot of other things.”
The attendance for the game was 36,789, which on a day with a double header for baseball was impressive as the fans met the expectation level Moorhead had set, and broke the record for a spring game at MSU.