Online Exclusive: Woody, Buzz return for emotionally gripping ‘Toy Story 3’

In 1995, “Toy Story” captivated the imagination of children around the world by bringing playthings to life onscreen. Now, 11 years after “Toy Story 2,” the final chapter of the franchise has been released to theaters. Just as the children in the audience of the first film have grown up, Andy (John Morris), who is beginning to pack for college as “Toy Story 3” opens, has now become too old to play with Woody (Tom Hanks), Buzz (Tim Allen) and the rest of his toys. Before Andy leaves for college, his mother demands he clean out his room and either take his toys to college, store them in the attic, throw them away or donate them to Sunnyside Daycare.
    Due to a mix-up, Woody and his friends end up at the daycare and receive the promise of being played with forever. However, they soon discover the daycare is equivalent to a toy prison, run by a dictator bear Lotso (Ned Beatty) and his enforcers. Determined to make it back to Andy’s house before he leaves for college, Woody attempts to break himself and his friends out.
    This film carries weightier emotions than the first two chapters in the trilogy. By exploring how the toys are no longer played with by Andy, the movie becomes more than just about how the characters will return to their owner.
    It is a rare movie that has the ability to pull on viewers’ heartstrings one moment and have them laughing uproariously the next. From tears to giggles to gasps of panic to wonder, “Toy Story 3” manages to make anyone sitting in the audience feel something and become captivated by the story and characters.
    The plot is never uneven, despite the combination of comedy, drama and thrills. There are twists and turns that are surprising but fit into the storyline organically. Though the animated film is about a cowboy doll and a plastic spaceman, it never feels like one – it’s simply a good story with compelling characters.
    Woody, Buzz, Jessie (Joan Cusack) and the rest of the original toys are just as likable over a decade later and provide the heart of the story. The true conflict isn’t about escaping Lotso and his henchmen (including a Ken doll humorously voiced by Micheal Keaton), but about finding a way to live without being Andy’s constant companions.
    Even the newer toys like the villainous Lotso and thespian hedgehog Mr. Pricklepants (Timothy Dalton) have distinct personalities and stories. While some sequels can become bloated by new characters and settings, “Toy Story” integrates both perfectly into the existing world and plot line.
    This final act is a rare movie that truly improves on the movies that came before it. With newer technology, the toy world looks more detailed and the human characters more believable, but the film still matches what was established in the first two movies. The film is perfect – nothing is wrong with it – though seeing it in 2-D is a cheaper option that better serves the visuals in the film.
    “Toy Story 3” is not merely for the nostalgic fans of the first two movies – it is an instant classic, superior to its predecessors. As the original audience Pixar convinced toys are alive grows up, new generations of fans will emerge to carry on the legacy of Woody and Buzz for infinity … and beyond.
    4 out of 4 stars